How to receive coordinates from other systems ?

• Hello friends !
    I'm developing a software for deburring with a robot, the system will work with a piece of software that will overlay the image of a vision system with an ideal mathematical model and will generate several trajectory points where the robot must pass to remove the burrs .

These points generated in the PC by labview can go to a PLC and then to robot if necessary (Ethernet/IP).

I would like your opcion that way could make this passage from points to robot.

would it be better via plc with separate coordinates in XYZWPR through GO's or have another better way of doing this?

Thank you Friends!

• It is possible to use Explicit Messaging to talk directly from PLC to PR's in the robot. Information on this can be found in the Ethernet IP manual under section 7. Alternatively, yes, GI from the PLC to be parsed by some simple BG Logic into points would probably be the easiest.

• juanregis88

How many points are we talking about here ? I never worked with more than 100 PR, but i was told , the more PR the slowest the robot
    Are the PR going to be load while robot is moving or at the very beginning using one single dump ?

I agree with " Alternatively, yes, GI from the PLC to be parsed by some simple BG Logic into points would probably be the easiest."

Retired but still helping

• In the past, I found it easiest to generate a text file with the coordinates and then use Karel to read in the coordinates and plug them into a PR. When I did this, the Karel logic was running in the background waiting for the robot to need another PR. It would then read another line from the text file. This worked pretty smoothly but required all the coordinates to be known before the process started.

• Depending on how large and/or complex your part to be deburred is (and a lot of other variables) you may want to consider using a program like AutoDesk's PowerMill Robot, which is actual CAM software with a plug-in for machining with a 6+ axis industrial robot. You set up your cell, drop in your part, and program the operation just like you would a CNC machine.

From my experience using a robot to deburr, I would advise against it if the requirements are for tight tolerances or good surface finish. We had a customer request a precision deburr of a part that was manufactured on a simultaneous 5 axis machine (extremely complex geometry in hardened tool steel) with very tough surface finish requirements, and the robot we were using was not nearly rigid enough to deburr at the speeds we needed with the programming options we had available to us. Both of these issues might have been avoided with the software I described (or one of the other CAM programs capable of this) but they are not cheap at all.

• There is also an option you can purchase from FANUC called Ethernet IP EDA. If you are using a Rockwell PLC, you can install the AOI that comes with the load media. It creates a robot data type that has the ability to write to PRs. I believe there is also a .L5X or .L5K file for the PLC that, when imported, creates a routine that has an explicit message in it to send the data over to the robot.

Advertising from our partners