Open Source Robot Controller Design

• Hi All,

I am looking for guidance in the design of an open source robotic controller.

I have many older robots, Mostly ERC era Motomans that are in good condition mechanically but the control hardware is horribly obsolete.

What I would like to accomplish is to design a robot controller compatible with ROS Industrial that can control the kinematics of my six axis robots.

Can anyone recommend any books or resources that can give me an idea of what is needed to control a industrial six axis robot.

I am fully aware that each robot will be different, different servo motors, different kinematics,

I would like to have hardware in place to be able to control six axis robots from all manufactures, not necessarily in factory form, as with my Motomans the Yaskawa Encoders on the motors do not have a standard pulse output.

I will change the motors to standard ac servos that output a common encoder signal.

I realize this is a big undertaking but once finished will allow me to deploy mechanically old, good robots that I can buy for scrap value.

• Anything arduino-based is a silly idea for industrial robots.

LinuxCNC has multi-axis serial kinematics, and plenty of people built robot controller replacements based on those.
    You just have to buy servo drives compatible with your servos, and that will be the very expensive bit.

Advertising from our partners