Questions about external control of KUKA iiwa

• Recently, I found an interesting video from Youtube (link:

External Content www.youtube.com
    Content embedded from external sources will not be displayed without your consent.
    Through the activation of external content, you agree that personal data may be transferred to third party platforms. We have provided more information on this in our privacy policy.
    ). It seems that KUKA iiwa can be monitored and control by an APP installed on the Android system. The key problem is to send and receive command of KUKA iiwa controller. Inspired from this, I have implemented the external control of KUKA iiwa based on the chapter 12 of the file "KUKA_SunriseOS_111_SI_en.pdf". After I implemented this, it seems that PC just sends the confirmation command (App_Start, App_Enable) to the KUKA iiwa controller to execute preloaded program (default application) in the controller. It is quite different from the video (link:
    External Content www.youtube.com
    Content embedded from external sources will not be displayed without your consent.
    Through the activation of external content, you agree that personal data may be transferred to third party platforms. We have provided more information on this in our privacy policy.
    ).

My questions are listed:
    1. Is there any other socket communication commands from PC to the KUKA iiwa controller to directly execute the moving command (such as MOVEL, MOVEJ, etc.), rather than executing the preloaded program in the controller?

2. How does the KUKA iiwa controller send the information (such as the position of end-effecter, the angle of each axis, the torque, etc.) to PC? Could anybody please provide any information about this, please?

Many thanks in advance.

• 1. create program that only has one motion and instead of positions taught, get the data from PC over whatever connection you have
    2. Sunrise programming is done in java. java makes it easy to open TCP/IP socket and transmit message.

1) read pinned topic: READ FIRST...

2) if you have an issue with robot, post question in the correct forum section... do NOT contact me directly

3) read 1 and 2

• 1. No. It seems a programmer in the video coded a program with a simple switching loop to command a motion from a PC and command.
    To do so, you need to program your own communication interface(TCP) between PC and the Controller, and a command protocol as well.
    Simplified,

2. See 15.12-14 in your manual. There you can find how to get values you want. All you need to add is to send it through your communication interface to a PC.

Edited once, last by Seulki ().

• Many thanks for your reply. I have implemented the socket communications on both PC and KUKA iiwa. The kuka iiwa can execute the preload program according to the socket message which is sent by the PC.
    Many thanks again.

Advertising from our partners