Help with line tracking?

• Hi,
    I'm new to Roboguide and I'm trying to make a simple simulation. I'm on V9 rev.B software of Handling PRO, help tab wasn't that much helpful.

What I'm trying to do is to make a box go forward above the robot. The robot should follow the box with the gripper and than pick it up and place it on a pallet.
    What it does now is that the box just teleports to the not-following robot. I reckon that it's due to me just teaching points not telling him to follow and then pick-up/place.

So my cry for help is: How do I make the robot's gripper to follow the box and then pick/place th box?

• Hi, thanks for the reply.

Well I guess that is the problem, I'm not triggering anything.

I was given the task to simulate a slowly moving car above a stationary robot. When the car reaches the robot's work space
    it should start puting parts into the car's undercarriage while the car is still moving. I managed to make the car move, however the parts just
    teleport into the undercarriage. I guess it's because I just recorded the points with ''simulation program'' and did not define any tracking or anything whatsoever.

Is there a function to tell the robot to follow a given point? The whole motion is linear.

• I might add that the car is moving due to machine1 link1 motion tab not due to conveyor toolbar since I cannot find it anywhere even though I did
    the step by step line tracking set up described in the HELP tab.

• The manual explains many of the following questions (I'm assuming you are already familiar with it)

Are you using a camera or a sensor to trigger ?
    Have you done you boundaries ?
    Have you done your work frames ?
    Are you going to use a tray to place ?

Your question "So my cry for help is: How do I make the robot's gripper to follow the box and then pick/place the box? " does not have a simple one line answer.
    You basically are asking somebody to write a manual for you as an answer

That's why I (we) are not very helpfull

Retired but still helping

• Take a look at the roboguide help file. Contrary to most programs, it is very helpful in setting up stuff like this.

Specifically, use the seach, and look for "Line Tracking", once you find that, select the "General procedure for setting up a line tracking workcell" option. It goes over it in detail, and is how I learned to do it.

Check out the Fanuc position converter I wrote here! Now open source!

Check out my example Fanuc Ethernet/IP Explicit Messaging program here!

• So, I did everything as descibed in help tab under "General procedure for setting up a line tracking workcell". I got to the point where I have to write the
    TP program. When I record a couple of points and then hit start simulation I get the '' TRACK-001 track jnt move no allowed'' error message.

Any thoughts on what I did wrong?

• Joint moves are not allowed in tracking programs. Neither are any form of user frames.

If you do need to do a joint move, do it in a non-tracking program that you can call from the tracking program, or use the wrist joint motion option.

• Thanks for the reply.

Can I make a simulation program and then call it with line tracking? How do I call the program?

Do I make the simulation program then save it as ''Binary(.TP)'' then load it? Or it's far more complicated than that?

• Whenever you make a simulation program via the navigation tree, a copy of it is loaded into the controller. When called from a .tp program, it will run what is in your sim program. Sim only commands will appear as remarks.

I typically do this when I need to do pick and place animations, or change the viewpoint. I'll create small sim programs, such as pick from fixture part 1 with gripper 1, and call them from tp programs where appropriate..

• Thanks.
    I managed to make a test sim program. I assigned it a tracking schedule through the TP. When I use the conveyor quickbar and move the conveyor forward or backward the thought points and traces move with the conveyor. However when I hit play simulation the part on the conveyor jumps forward by alot and the robot does not move at all. There is no TRAK error message.
    I guess there is a detect problem? I filled in the detect distance and the upstream and downstream border fields.

• Try adding the following code to the start of your tracking program, or to whatever calls it.

Code
    1:  LINECOUNT[1] R[132] ;
       2:  SETTRIG LNSCH[1] R[132] ;

Explanation:
    Line 1 gets the current encoder count, and stores it in R[132].
    Line 2 sets the trigger value for line tracking schedule 1 to whatever is in R[132].

• Well that is going to be tough since I created the Tracking program as described in the help tab. So through the select menu-> create, etc. The program only lets me record points or "touchup".

Is there an option to write lines of code? Or is the tracking program you are reffering to a completely different thing?

Edit: I just found out that I can add more than the ''point'' and ''touchup'' stuff.
    So here is what's happening. I created the conveyor tracking cell as described in the help tab. I made a sim program then I created TP tracking program that has those two lines you
    gave me. After that the TP program calls the sim program. I saved, cold started, hit play and the robot just does its normal thing, completely ignoring the moving car above. No tracking not even remotely close to it.

Edit 2 :I asked fanuc for line tracking manual, it's not for roboguide but for the real robot. There is a chapter on programming. They suggest writing a non-tracking ''JOB'' that calls the tracking program. I did what they asked and I get the TRAK error message. So I flipped the roles - JOB is a tracking program that calls a non-tracking program with thought points. Now I don't get the error but there is no tracking, it just goes through the non-tracking program. I reckon the problem is with the detect switch.

• IM HAVING A LOT OF PROBLEMS IN LINE TRACKING. THIS HAS TURNED OUT TO BE THE BANE OF MY EXISTANCE. THERE IS NOT A LOT OF MATERIAL AVAILABLE OUT THERE AND THE WHOLE THING HAS TURNED OUT TO BE A GIANT PAIN.

• IM HAVING A LOT OF PROBLEMS IN LINE TRACKING. THIS HAS TURNED OUT TO BE THE BANE OF MY EXISTANCE. THERE IS NOT A LOT OF MATERIAL AVAILABLE OUT THERE AND THE WHOLE THING HAS TURNED OUT TO BE A GIANT PAIN.

Sad to hear about your problems.

Did you try to contact FANUC to get the manuals or training needed?

Or is there a specific issue that you need this community's help with?

Advertising from our partners