Lack of cabinet synchronization - Waiting for Cyclic Connection

• I recently picked up on a project to try and fix a 2014 LBR iiwa 14 that we acquired recently. The robot was working originally and we were able to manipulate it manually using the attached smartPAD. The people originally working on it updated the StationSetup.cat in the Sunrise Workbench and upon attempting to upload their change (I don’t know the exact details but they said it was a very simple disengaging of the manual stop), they lost all connectivity between the robot and controller. They used the USB Recovery Stick to flash the cabinet back to its original factory state. That is where I came in, but still nothing is working.

The smartPAD is showing multiple errors. Upon startup, it shows the “Available robots” page with only the words “Waiting for cyclic connection” but that never changes. On the top it gives the error “unable to configure IP address automatically”. Under KRC Status, I get “KRC is disconnected”. And when attempting to PING an IP, it reverts back to 0.0.0.0 and gives me “Error 18: Bad target address, – 0.0.0.0”. After waiting as well, a message pops up saying “No connection to KRC possible”.

I’ve attached a monitor to the controller and can run the SunriseWorkbenchOS and SmartHMI but don’t get very far with that. When running SmartHMI, it says no Robots are connected, the HMI State is Disconnected with a red LED on it. It shows process data and frames to be unknown as well.

I have attempted to speak to KUKA representatives who haven’t been able to provide much of a solution so I am hoping I might be able to find a solution on here.

:help:

• Hi,

have you set up a fixed IP for the connection with the sunrise cabinet (see iiwa_1.jpg)?

Is there a project installed on the controller at the moment?

Have you tried to create a new project (iiwa_2.jpg)? And then to install the new project on the sunrise (iiwa_3.jpg and iiwa_4.jpg)?
    And make sure your configuration in the StationSetup.cat is correct (right flange etc.).
    Finally try to synchronize the project with your controller (iiwa_5.jpg).

• After looking further I got as far as what you have mentioned here, except I did not do anything having to do with step 5 right now.

I have a static IP set up for the connection.

Right now, though, I am getting the same red box that you are currently showing in image 4 I believe that you attached, meaning no robot is recognized as being attached. This came after I upgraded my sunrise workbench. I was previously running 1.5 and went through that process just to check and saw the green box. But I just recently updated to 1.9 and as soon as I did that, I lost the green box and can only get a red box.

I am working to try and troubleshoot that now but could certainly use some help.

• I do have a connection via Ethernet from the X66 port shown to the computer area with the ethernet and usb ports.
    I switched out ethernet cables just to make sure I wasn't using a faulty one and the same problem arises.

• I am unable to ping the controller from my PC (going into cmd window and trying to ping) and the robot's IP is 172.31.1.147, while I am setting the computer to a static IP of 172.31.1.150.

• The computer is connected via Ethernet to the X66 Cable. See attached images for the connections...
    IMG_8331 --> shows the X19 port that connects to the pendant
    IMG_8332 --> shows the on/off section of the controller, with the Ethernet Cable going from the X66 port and the cable going from the X21 port to the robot
    IMG_8333 --> same as 8332 but with the K1 port shown
    IMG_8334 --> general overview of cabling
    IMG_8335 --> X31 port of the robot, connected to the X21 port of the cabient
    IMG_8336 --> ports of the robot

• This cable didn't come with what we acquired, and the "LBR iiwa Quick Start - First Steps" guide says under one of the steps:
    "Data cable for media flange MF (optional) to controller and robot base" -- the data cable is X650 - X651 so it didn't seem to matter that we didn't have that cable considering it was described as optional.

• The ethernet cable runs directly from the X66 port to the KONI port. I couldn't find any documentation for how to connect that, but that seemed to be correct. And then I have port X65/X69 not connected to anything. Can you confirm that this is correct? I do not have a personal PC connected to this setup, but rather have connected the computer side of the cabinet (with the KONI and USB ports) to an external monitor with a keyboard and mouse so that I can see what is happening.
    I have tried different plug-in configurations just in case but haven't had any luck.

Please let me know if there is any other information that you need.

• You need to read product documentation.and that includes schematics

There is no sense in connecting KONI and KLI.

KONI is interface for KUKA options like vision.
    KLI is the client interface for programming and communication
    X65 is the EtherCat interface for IO expansion.
    X69 is a service interface (meant for KUKA service techs)

1) read pinned topic: READ FIRST...

2) if you have an issue with robot, post question in the correct forum section... do NOT contact me directly

3) read 1 and 2

• I've looked through and read all of the product documentation and schematics that came with the cabinet and it said nothing about where to plug in different ethernet connections. Aside from that, it didn't look like the on-board computer and the robot controller spoke internally without the help of the ethernet cable connecting the X66 and KONI ports.

I apologize if I am making simple mistakes but I am very new to this interface and system. So it seems as if what you are saying is that all that is needed is the KLI ethernet to go to my PC? I have tried that as well, while assigning my PC a static IP with the same Class A,B, and C as the static IP assigned to the robot. That doesn't seem to work either and there remains no connectivity.

• The X66 port needs to be connected to a separate (personal) computer.
    And once you connected a seperate computer to the controller you should try to follow the steps which are explained in Reply #1.

"connected the computer side of the cabinet (with the KONI and USB ports)"

. This doesn't make sense.

The ethernet cable runs directly from the X66 port to the KONI port. I couldn't find any documentation for how to connect that, but that seemed to be correct. And then I have port X65/X69 not connected to anything. Can you confirm that this is correct? I do not have a personal PC connected to this setup, but rather have connected the computer side of the cabinet (with the KONI and USB ports) to an external monitor with a keyboard and mouse so that I can see what is happening.
    I have tried different plug-in configurations just in case but haven't had any luck.

Please let me know if there is any other information that you need.

• You're over-cabling. Strip everything, leave just the Power, X19, X21 (you don't need the X650 for non-IO flanges)and the Ethernet cable from X66 to your PC.
    - Be sure there are not other devices that use the same IP, to avoid addresses conflicts.
    - Open the controller and check if there are loose cables, I had the same issue last week, when the internal side of the X19 connector was a bit loose.
    - Try also restart the robot with a monitor connected to its DVI port and make a screenShot of the errors you see on the smartPAd

Advertising from our partners