Macro Programs

• This is just for general knowledge not for a specific problem, but I have questions about the purpose, benefits, and reasons to use a Macro program instead of a regular program?

I realize that Macros can be assigned to pendant keys and manual functions (we don't often use those here, because we prefer not to have our customers access the pendant) but what else can they do?

If I assign one to a DI, does that mean whenever I get that DI it calls that program? Like could I assign a GO_TO_MAINT program to a DI and when ever the robot receives that DI it goes to maintenance position? Does a macro input tender always run in the background?

Fanuc just seems really proud of this ability and I have yet to find a use for it in my entire 5 months of robot programming (such a long time I know), and I want to know if I am missing out!

***if there is already a thread here please direct me to it***

• often times i used macros with no group selected to operate stationary cameras running vision processes while the robot it off doing something else. maybe find the next part to pick up before the robot even gets there.

and yes assigning a gripper open or close to a user key is very handy

• If I assign one to a DI, does that mean whenever I get that DI it calls that program? Like could I assign a GO_TO_MAINT program to a DI and when ever the robot receives that DI it goes to maintenance position?

Yes you can do this. I am using macros to control my conveyors as well as start a vision system program I have. When the DI = ON it runs the program that it is mapped to. You can set the macro to run on a few different inputs such as TP key, operator panel button, or input signal (DI,UI, ect).

Macros can do everything that a TP program can do they can just also be started by inputs or buttons instead of selecting them with the TP or a CALL/RUN program instruction.

As far as I know the macros do not run like a background program would, they are essentially called by the input you want to start it with (although I could be wrong)

• Moosehorns, I am in the same camp as you, we don't want people other than programmers or maintenance touching the pendant. Also, we provide an HMI for a user interface. So in my situation Macros have no benefit. I can accomplish anything required using a combination of regular programs and BG Logic.

If you are in a situation where there is no HMI and the operator is using the teach pendant as part of their normal operation, then I think Macros would be a great tool.

I find it funny that you say Fanuc is proud of the macro, when I find BG Logic infinitely more useful, but you never hear Fanuc talk about BG Logic. It isn't even taught in their Advanced programming course.

• At my facility we use aux axis for dial tables and trunnions. We put the positions in the macro table and call the program via DI. This way the arm can be off doing something else, and the Aux Axis and get into its operator load position.

• I use macros for some of my more elaborate EOAT setups. Multiple actuators with 2 or 3 brief WAIT instructions. Pack it all into one MACRO so each time I need to pick up or drop off, it is one line to call the appropriate MACRO instead of 5 of 6 lines of code.

Other than that, I agree, BGLogic is way more useful.

• Hallo Together,

is it possible tostart MACRO with digital output?

my application is as below.

after the hotstart the robot i will get DO wich conform me that the robot has hot start switch on. and with this DO i want to run one programm instantly after the robot hot started.

one option is offcours the BL with perticulat DO.

Advertising from our partners