Fastest Collaborative Robot?

• I've used Fanuc's CR7 and Universal UR5/10s in the past and all left to be lacking in the speed department.
    I'm considering a new project that will require a collaborative and I'm wondering if any of the other options are any faster.
    I know there are obvious speed limitations due to collaborative needs but I'm just wonder if any of the other options (Kuka, Motoman, ABB, etC) offer slightly faster collaborative models.

What does everyone say?
    Any experience will be helpful.

• Faster, in what way? Most especially, in what operation mode?

For example, the KUKA iiWA can move at speeds similar to a non-collaborative robot in the same payload class... but not in collaborative mode. Any cobot operating in collaborative mode (that is, with humans within its unprotected reach), must operate at very reduced speeds, in order to satisfy the RIA safety requirement. This is not influenced by brand or model, but by the strict limits on total kinetic energy and safe stopping distance.

• Faster, in what way? Most especially, in what operation mode?

For example, the KUKA iiWA can move at speeds similar to a non-collaborative robot in the same payload class... but not in collaborative mode. Any cobot operating in collaborative mode (that is, with humans within its unprotected reach), must operate at very reduced speeds, in order to satisfy the RIA safety requirement. This is not influenced by brand or model, but by the strict limits on total kinetic energy and safe stopping distance.

Thanks for the reply Skye.
    As you mentioned they must move at reduced speeds but I wasn't sure if any had superior tech in sensing, torque control, collision stopping, or otherwise that allow them to run slightly faster and still meet safety requirements.
    Main reason I ask is it seems like the URs moved faster through space than the CR7 however it could 100% be my imagination.

• I'm not an expert on Cobots, so I can't speak to it definitively. However, AIUI, Cobot speed limits are set by the kinetic energy limits. A smaller payload can move faster, but not much, since kinetic energy scales linearly with mass, but also linearly with the square of the velocity. So halving the mass would, at best, only allow you perhaps a 50% speed increase.

Some brands may be able to stop faster than others on a collision detection, and thus have their limits set higher, but I doubt the difference would be very significant. A Cobot, by its nature, cannot detect a collision until after the collision has already happened, at which point the stopping distance must be very short indeed -- at that point, there's just not a lot of difference between brands at how fast they can slam their brakes shut. Inertia is king, here.

Advertising from our partners