Does the SV3X have hard limits (other than metal on metal)?

• I'm new to programming these robots. I just got my SV3X (XRC) moving around. I kind of expected that, once I had re-calibrated the home position, there would be hard limits to axis rotations. But I seem to be able to jog right up to the edge of crashing the arm without hitting any kind of limit. The manual references soft limits... is that all there is? Seems like I should be able to set up "hard" limits for the individual joint rotations. Where is this described? I feel like there's a manual I'm missing. Thanks for any pointers!

• Hi , I’m sure you think you have most manuals , however, much information is under “secret squirrel” codes & manuals , so here’s some information that might help you Understand.
    There’s three limits for each axis . Note parameters = 8x axis + direction & 8x axis - direction.
    “Pulse Soft limit”- these are under parameters S1CxG070 > G085 ( & more accessible)
    “Mech Soft limit “ - under parameters RCxG624 > G639
    “Motor Limit “ - under parameters RCxG640 > G655.
    So the short answer to your question- 1st limit is the Pulse limit (next - Mechanical limit
    (next - Motor limit ( next - Steel or Aluminium casting.
    Why so many i here you ask ? Mech & Motor are very similar and left over from previous model formats ,
    Later models had some soft limits dropped.
    Hope this helps.

• Thanks Pcarbines, that's really helpful! How does one get these "secret squirrel" manuals? I downloaded all the XRC manuals from the Motoman website, scanned through them all (I thought), and don't recall seeing this information.

On a related note... It's not clear to me why Motoman would want to keep this info secret. I mean, I understand that they want to sell services, but promoting an active DIY Motoman repair/user community is only going to generate more business for Motoman, in the long run, IMO. Keeping these old Motoman robots running just generates more interest in Motoman robots, in general. I keep showing off this SV3X to my friends and they think it's the cat's pajamas.

Anyhow, thanks again.

• Why are Motoman less transparent? “Personal observations Only”.
    That’s the unfortunate side effect of people posting Secret Squirrel codes etc. On the internet. Motoman were one of the few companies that gave engineers “almost” full access to its software and the ability to write their own program variations. I use the analogy of -
    **“friendly” means you make 1x decision, the Software makes 6x , unfortunately not very flexible.
    ** “unfriendly” means you need to make 6x decisions & the software makes 1x , very flexible and can be written to fit many applications. (Red-Hat springs to mind)
    With the posting of Motoman security codes Eng’s. unwittingly gave, what would have been paying customers, the access to free software that motoman spent many years and $ creating.
    Result = motoman fell into line along with other major Robot manufacturers. Several Manufacturers will to take you to Court for just copying manuals , ie. “copyright”.
    This is the reason there are warnings about openly posting security codes in the Forum.
    Some people think everything should Be openly posted and shared , these same people usually have not had to invest any of their own personal $ in their endeavours.
    Hope this helps explain, from my point of view.

Advertising from our partners