How to addressing safety functions via PROFIsafe of KUKA robot

• Hello,

I am new in robot field and programming. in the first project I have to connect the PLC to the robot. When I connected the PLC to the Robot I got a safety error like “ESTOP OF LOCAL”. Regards to the KUKA manual PROFIsafe, I have to change some of bits in the PROFIsafe but I will know that I have to change the bits on the KUKA KRC or in PLC? and how?
    Does anybody know how to change PROFIsafe bits (IO) like RES, NHE, BS, or QBS on the KUKA KRC4? :help: :help:

• all signals belong to one of two basic groups - inputs and outputs.
    inputs are signals arriving to a device.
    outputs are signals sent out by device.

devices include PLCs, KRCs etc.

when you are programming device, you can use both inputs and outputs but your code can only control (influence) outputs.
    if signals are inputs to KRC, they are outputs to PLC and program that can control that signal must be in PLC.

1) read pinned topic: READ FIRST...

2) if you have an issue with robot, post question in the correct forum section... do NOT contact me directly

3) read 1 and 2

• It means that I just programming PLC in a FB or OB and using the Output Q of KUKA right? but How can I set the bits 0 or 1 in the KUKA. Because robot can't run before that some of bits like RES, NHE, BS, or QBS be changed (high or low).

• [size=2]
    It means that I just programming PLC in a FB or OB and using the Output Q of KUKA right? [/size]

[size=2]

no... first you need to establish network between two devices, map IO and configure robot to use ProfiSafe as a safety interface.

programming the way you described would work for a standard signal (non-safe). safety signals can only be processed in SAFETY task of your PLC.

[/size]

[size=2]
    but How can I set the bits 0 or 1 in the KUKA. Because robot can't run before that some of bits like RES, NHE, BS, or QBS be changed (high or low).
    [/size]

[size=2]

those are safety signals. your robot must have ONE safety interface (no more and no less). once you configure ProfiSafe as a safety interface, have connection to PLC, your SAFETY task can write those signals.
    [/size]

2) if you have an issue with robot, post question in the correct forum section... do NOT contact me directly

3) read 1 and 2

Edited once, last by panic mode ().

• I already configured the PROFIsafe in robot with 64 F-IO interface. Robot is connected to the PLC as F-safe by usign GSDML file in TIA portal. But robot stop and on the smartPAD I got these error:

1. KSS15002 safe device communication error profinet device
    2. KSS15105 safe device CIB safety module(SION-CIB): Error at feedback signal 1
    3. KS00404 Safety stop

as a KUKA PROFIsafe manual I have to change the output bits. My question is how to fix these error and how to change the KUKA Q bits?

• your FPLC_1 must have safety task configured and it you would write code that controls the PLC.

3) read 1 and 2

• Hi Dear,

I am using WORKVISUAL 5 to setting PROFISAFE (Profinet 3.3).

When I make the link between safety input and KSS $in[] it runs OK, but when I try to link the safety OUTPUTs with KSS $out[] the connection button isn't available to click.

As we can see in the pictures if I try to link a safety OUTPUT with some KSS $IN[] the connection button is available.

What kind of mistake can I been makeing to cause this issues? This my first time working with PROFISAFE, this robot don't use X11 and SIB.

Thankyou.

• You cannot map the Safety signals -- they are hard-mapped into the KRC4's safety interface, and cannot be altered. You cannot map them to regular $INs and $OUTs, as those signals are not safety-rated. The safety signals have their own reserved I/O space (shaded yellow).

• Hi skyfire,

So I just have to link the standard signals and I don't do any settings in Profisafe via Work Visual?

Sorry but I didn't find any detail about Profisafe setting in PROFINET DOC, AND WORKVISUAL DOC.

• There is some ProfiSafe setup, but it's just setting the number of Safe I/Os in the Communication Settings tab of the Profinet Settings window.

Aside from that, if your Device Name and ProfiNet Version are correct, the safeties should just fall into place. You'll notice that the remote signals have a section shaded in yellow, and you cannot map any of them to any of the $INs and $OUTs (or at least, you couldn't in any Profinet project I worked on, but it's been a few years). Basically, it's just there to be seen. There's no similar yellow section in the "local" I/O, because it's a dedicated separate I/O space that's not part of the $IN/$OUT arrays. If you look in the SafeOperation manual, you'll see that these safety signals have dedicated system variables, and exist totally apart from the "regular" I/O.

If the communication parameters are correct, the safety signals should work even if you don't do any mapping at all. The mapping is for the non-safe, "regular" I/O signals.

• On the KRC4 side (in WoV) you need to map standard I/O.
    On the PLC side, one need to map standard I/O.

If using safety over some ethernet network (CipSafety, ProfiSafe, FSoE), no mapping is needed in WoV as this Safety IO block is already defined and mapped as described in SafeOperation manual.
    So in WoV you just need to enable safe IO block.
    But on PLC end you still need to map the safety signals to IO range safety PLC uses.

3) read 1 and 2

• Thank you PanicMode!

In other post said that all reserved robot safe input need to be TRUE to have no problem.

I will use just the two first bytes, because this application doesn't uses SafetyOperation.

Will I have to set all reserved safe input as TRUE to make it work? Or just reserved safe input of two first bytes?

I ne

• I'm having the same problem

Ks150002 safe device communication error profinet device

And safety stop.

I followed I instructions provided by kuka .

Set profisafe ID to my plc f destination address.

Tried all that and nothing works.

I set up all reserve bits to be true .

This just gives me plc memory wrote error meaning comms arent working .

Non profisafe comms are working..

Profisafe wont work :frowning_face:

X11 is disabled with a jumper on x311 and x48 unplugged to the SiB

Any suggestions ?

• did you get it working ? Please help

• i am willing to offer help but i don't quite know what you are talking about.

please read pinned topic READ FIRST and communicate so i can understand you.

>> "I'm having the same problem"

what problem may that be? you never explained and your response was to message that had no issue.

>>"Ks150002 safe device communication error profinet device. And safety stop."

Never heard of Ks150002. If i was to GUESS, i would say you may think of KSS15002.

Please proofread your posts. Details matter and I can't read minds.

Or if you like, i can make random assumptions and give you random answers, but I guarantee you that will NOT will take you where you want to be...

Which safety device is supposedly having problem with safe communication?

smartPad, RDC, KPP, KSP or something different entirely? on which bus?

what is your KSS version? what is your ProfiNet version?

what is your KRC connected to? What are the network settings?

what are the device name settings? how are they connected?

what exactly is your ethernet cable connected to (what port)? is it connected?

>> "I followed I instructions provided by kuka."

that is good, but you never stated what those instructions are. how can we guess?

you should talk to Kuka then...

>> "Set profisafe ID to my plc f destination address."

was that all of the 'instructions' you got from Kuka?

you posted two sentences which didn't even scratch the surface.

Kuka has 4-days training on this, and that is after you pass prerequisite courses.

>> "Tried all that and nothing works."

nothing? really NOTHING? you need to explain that.. that is a very broad statement.

are you saying that neither PLC not KRC powerup, no light or fan turns on? did you check fuses?

or you mean there are no displayed messages, PLC does not scan and robot cannot be jogged even in StartUp mode?

>> "I set up all reserve bits to be true."

good... that is in the manual and was discussed here already.

if you toggle first reserved bit, does that bring/remove red banner on smartPad?

>> "This just gives me plc memory wrote error meaning comms arent working."

plc reading and writing memory is separate issue.

btw what PLC we are talking about? are you sure PLC I/Os are mapped correctly?

>> "Non profisafe comms are working...Profisafe wont work :("

well that is a progress... but... what is the role of KRC4 in your setup (master/slave)?

what is the role of PLC in your setup (master/slave)?

is the PLC a safety PLC? what did you map there and how?

which of them has GSDML of other device? how is it configured? older ProfiNet versions and GSDML files had different RPI limit.

>> "X11 is disabled with a jumper on x311 and x48 unplugged to the SiB"

so controller used to have X11... did you remove SION-SIB boards from WoV project?

did you activate safety configuration after deploying and activating WoV project?

>>"Any suggestions ?"

i cannot write personalized responses for each new forum member on something basic like how to ask for help... they are supposed to look around and read a bit before asking questions.

read pinned topic READ FIRST. search forum. this has been discussed before.

when asking for help be specific. it takes some practice to get it right. we all have been there...

3) read 1 and 2

• i apologize, here is more info

KRC v8.3.37

Options installed : Profinet KRC-Nexxt v3.3.1

Diagnose Safeyt v2.1.0

PLC Siemens CPU 1214FC Dc/Dc/Rly

GSDML used on plc : KRC4-Profinet_3.3

WoV V 5.0.6

KRC4 came configured with SIB and x11,

Please note that ive done profinet communication many times on this type of robot, never used profisafe though.

I followed my usual set up procedure for Profinet (non profisafe) but this time i selected the number of profisafe outputs to 64, Set the Profinet ID to 7 ( matched f_Dest_address on PLC side). Removed SIB from WoV project, then deployed the project.

Kuka boots into Local E-stop only , with KSS15002 - Safe device communication error Profinet Device

I've tried uninstalling Profinet Nexxt, then reinstalling it again as this fixed some issues with profinet in the past.

i Will include my WoV project file, am i missing anything ?

Do i need Profinet ProfiSafe Device option installed on KRC4?

• To Everyone out there having same issues.

Check your f_WD_Time on your PLC under 64 safe digital in and outputs (KRC4 GSDML section)

i had it set to 150ms (GSDML default) , once i increased it to 250, problem went away and KRC4 successfully connects to PLC via Profinet.

Also, i made sure update time under KRC4 Profinet interface in siemens TIA matches update time specified in WoV profinet settings (8ms).

Those two options fixed my Kss15002 Issue.

• consider hiring someone. you are not exactly following advice or reading responses and i don't have patience to pull words out of you...

>> "I followed I instructions provided by kuka."

what instructions?

>> "Tried all that and nothing works."

what is 'nothing'?

>> "X11 is disabled with a jumper on x311 and x48 unplugged to the SiB"

did you activate safety configuration after deploying and activating WoV project?

>> "Non profisafe comms are working.."

impossible... no I/O are mapped, bus may be running but no data exchange takes place. how are you testing this?

>> "Non profisafe comms are working...Profisafe wont work :("

that PLC is a safety PLC. what did you map there and how?

>> "GSDML used on plc : KRC4-Profinet_3.3"

what the heck is that? do you mean "GSDML-V2.32-KUKA-KRC4-ProfiNet_3.3-20170131.xml"?

and how is it configured? you mentioned PLC complaining about memory access. what addresses are used here?

>> "Please note that ive done profinet communication many times on this type of robot"

possible but very doubtful... no I/O are mapped... and there is no mention of what is on the PLC side.

>> "I set up all reserve bits to be true. This just gives me plc memory wrote error meaning comms arent working ."

why provide digested interpretation of the message instead of actual message? did you read READ FIRST?

>> "Do i need Profinet ProfiSafe Device option installed on KRC4?"

There is no separate option just for 'ProfiSafe device'. ProfiSafe is part of ProfiNet. If ProfiNet option is installed, ProfiSafe is installed too... and yes, if you want to use ProfiNet or ProfiSafe - ProfiNet option must be installed on controller. Not just that, in this KSS it has to be installed on KRC4 controller BEFORE you do anything else:

a) take working WoV project from KRC4

b) add your modifications to WoV project (bus configuration)

c) deploying and activating project

d) activating safety configuration.

are you sure you took project from controller after the ProfiNet was installed? installing options modifies bunch of files on controller. you want all of those files in the project before you start adding your things into project.

my recommendation is to get non-safe data exchange working first. and have it tested. set bits on one end and see if they change on the other end, then reverse process. after this is done, add the safety signals.

when configuring programmable controllers (PLC, KRC) you are dealing with computers. they take things literally (so do i, when dealing with computer related issues). so try to be explicit. do not abbreviate things, do not assume things, check pinned topic and responses you got here. i had many times people call me for help telling about robot fault, and when asking what it is, they reply "something about servo axis". Duh... there are THOUSANDS of messages about some 'servo axis'. be specific... every comma, dot or space in the error is important. only then one can search for it. scrambled message content or file names or software versions are useless. i hope this helps not just you but many others, good luck..

3) read 1 and 2

Advertising from our partners