Communication with PC

• Hey!

I’m looking for recommendations on the best/easiest way to set up communication between my R-30ib controller and Windows PC.

I’m pretty new to this and need my R-30ib controller to communicate with my windows PC, which again will communicate with a vision system so that the robot can do changes to its path during runtime.

I have seen some possible options: PC Developer’s Kit and User Socket Messaging.
    In PCDK I need to use Visual Basic and in User socket messaging I need to use Karel. I have no prior experience with any of these.

Based on this, what would be the best option to go for? And what are the advantages/disadvantages with the different solutions?

Thx

• I don't have experience with either of those methods, but am wondering if you have considered using Fanuc iRVision. It integrates directly with the robot so you wouldn't need the PC. There are also other 3rd party vision systems that can communicate directly using various protocols.

If you still want to go with the PC, then I'm sure someone on this forum can help you.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

• If you already have Karel option that User Socket Messaging is a cheaper version. It's not so hard to establish communication with PC. You have working examples here on forum and in Karel manual.

• I don't have hands-on experience with either, but I do have a friend who is both a Fanuc expert and professional C# programmer, and he can't sing PCDK's praises enough.

That said, if all you need is to send a string containing some variables ("X=101.1,Y=202.2....") from the PC to the robot via TCP/IP, then USM will probably be sufficient, assuming it works similarly to the robots I'm more familiar with. Generally, it looks a lot like an old Telnet session, or an RS232 exchange.

You'll need to be careful about your string delimiters and EOL characters, but parsing data out of the string and into a register shouldn't be too difficult with KAREL.

• Is this correct? There seems to be a lot of people using socket messaging but does it not work on windows?

This is a strange thing to ask, as "socket messaging" is a technique, not a program that runs on either your robot or a PC.

The option on the robot is called User Socket Messaging, but that just provides you with the necessary Karel functions to open and close sockets.

And I can understand why fanuc would say that the PCDK is recommended: it takes away some of the low-level details of communicating with your controller (so you can immediately read and write registers, positions, ios and so forth. With socket messaging you're going to have to do some more work.

Advertising from our partners