Moving through singularity

• Hello,

I am working on a cutting application where I move a part to a cutter and rotate around the y-axis for cutting. With the current set up I need to move through a singularity point where the j5 and j4 line up during the rotation. Does anyone have any ideas on how I can pass through this point? I have tried using wrist joint but haven't had any luck with it.

Thanks for the help!

• Place your Ad here!
  • Hey Sevastopol,

Thanks for your reply. I have the auto singularity avoidance on but it still wont flip through it. I have messed around with it a bit and it seems to work when I move the start and end locations so there is a bit of a rotation in j4 (currently it is a zero). The problem is that the cutter is place directly in front of the robot so it the auto avoidance doesn't work.

Is there a way to move it though with the wrist joint command? I have been looking into it and I think that is what I need (although I could be totally wrong, I am still new to this) I just cant get it to work in my program.

Thank you,

• Going thru a singularity during the cutting process is generally not a good idea.

Even if you do get the robot to do it, it will probably mess up the cut.

This situation should be analysed in the cell layout before it is built. That being said, is moving the location of the robot or cutting process a possibility?

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

• Hey HawkME,

How would it mess up the cut? I was able to get the singularity auto avoidance to work by adding a 1° rotation in the x axis which allows the J4 to flip orientation and continue on. This caused the motion to slow while it happens but it seems to work. Are there any potential problems with doing that?

I could move the cutter if there is no way around it I just wanted to see if there was something I could do without having to move it.

Another potential solution for me is to do the cut in two parts. Have the robot move away from the cutter to do a joint move to move through the singularity point then move back and finish the cut. This solution would make the cycle time longer though. As I am still pretty new to this I just wanted to see what options were out there that I couldn't see

Thanks!

• That's great you got it to work. I am under the impression this movement is during the cut? If so the slow down and slight angle could affect your cut quality. Some cutting processes are very sensitive, but if you are getting a good cut, then I would call it a win.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

• Thanks for your input! I am going to continue to try a few different things but as you said before moving the cutter so that the robot stays out of singularity seems to work the best.

Thanks for everyone's help