KUKA Vision MXG20 camera connections

• So, this is a weird one. I have a pair of robots (KRC4, KSS 8.3) with KUKA VisionTech 3.0, and using the KUKA MXG20 smart cameras.

I've run into an issue connecting the cameras to the robots. These robots were configured with VisionTech from the factory, and came pre-installed with the Power-Over-Ethernet option for the cameras. And when these robots were at the integrator's facility, the cameras worked -- I was able to get live video from the cameras to the SmartPads. I never looked closely at the cables, since they were all installed before I arrived on-site.

Since then, the system was broken down and moved to the final customer location. In the process, the original robot-to-camera cables were replaced with new cables (both KUKA-sourced), due to routing issues requiring longer cable runs. And now, I can't get a connection -- there's not even a power light on the cameras.

When I examined the new cables closely, I found that the cables have male M12 ends. And when I check the VisionTech 3.0 manual, I see that the PoE/Data port on the camera is also male. This obviously can't work. And to make things worse, aside from being male/female, the "aux power and I/O" port on the camera is physically identical to the PoE cable. So, obviously, the new cables are wrong. Right?

Except... I had someone (over the phone) check the original cables, and those cables also have male M12 ends. ???

So, the only thing I can think of is that the manual is wrong? I've attached the relevant images from the manual. It's obvious that I can't run images over the power supply port, so either something really strange is going on, or the manual is incorrect on which port is which in the first image.

Anyone ever run into this before? I'm having the original cables shipped to me post-hast, but in the meantime, I'm stuck.

• Article numbers?

For the camera? I don't know.
    For the cables? The "good" cable is 00-218-279, the "bad" cable is 00-218-281. Which, according to my sources, is electrically identical but with different lengths. I'm waiting for the "good" cables to come in so I can try swapping them around.

In the meantime, I've been poking around some more -- I have a power light on the camera, but the robot shows no detection of the sensor. I also have a "fault" light on the KUKA PoE switch inside the cabinet, but aside from labelling it, the manual says nothing about it or what it means. I've confirmed that I have a good 27VDC going into the switch. Also, the switch's ports that are connected to the camera and to KONI both show green lights, as long as the cables are plugged in.

• Update: I got my old cable back, and swapped it in place of the current one. This time, both LEDs on the camera lit up, and the robot found the camera right away. So, it's pretty obvious I have a bad cable.

And the good cable is also male on the M12 end. So it seems pretty obvious that the diagram in the VT manual is either incorrect, or incomplete.

So now I need to send the bad cable back to KUKA to be exchanged, since my old good cable isn't long enough. But I can use it temporarily.

• just came back and checking my documents... you are correct.

Camera has two connectors. male connector is IO and female connector is PoE. In manual for VisionTech 3.0 they are shown reversed. Manual for VisionTech 3.1 is corrected.

And those two cables are supposed to be the same except for length...

1) read pinned topic: READ FIRST...

2) if you have an issue with robot, post question in the correct forum section... do NOT contact me directly

3) read 1 and 2

• For the camera? I don't know.
    For the cables? The "good" cable is 00-218-279, the "bad" cable is 00-218-281. Which, according to my sources, is electrically identical but with different lengths. I'm waiting for the "good" cables to come in so I can try swapping them around.

In the meantime, I've been poking around some more -- I have a power light on the camera, but the robot shows no detection of the sensor. I also have a "fault" light on the KUKA PoE switch inside the cabinet, but aside from labelling it, the manual says nothing about it or what it means. I've confirmed that I have a good 27VDC going into the switch. Also, the switch's ports that are connected to the camera and to KONI both show green lights, as long as the cables are plugged in.

How much longer is the New cable VS the old one?

• if i recall old one is 15m, new one is 25m

Well I thought you might have a voltage drop from wire resistance. But AWG24 @ 50m is 4.21ohms. Max is 12.5 for PoE. So you should be good. Guess you got a bad wire?

• Hello SkyFire and PanicMode,
    I have ordered new Visiontech hardware and facing problem in connecting with KUKA camera.
    Following are the article numbers
    Gige power switch: 00-219-506
    Camera: KUKA MXG20-I7-K40
    Cable camera to switch: 00-219-638 (Cable 15m bus- CAT6 RJ45-M12)
    Cable switch to controller- 00-219-371 (Cable 5m bus –CAT6 RJ45-RJ45)

After power ON, the switch gets power but there is no led on Camera.
    What can be the issue? Is it because of some wrong cables ?

• What can be the issue? Is it because of some wrong cables ?
    I am already onsite and need help urgently.

1. Read the manual of course
    2. Read the pinned topic READ FIRST

Advertising from our partners