R2000i - Rj3Ib - Shorted RO1 pin - caused perm fault.

• I'm a newbie to this machine so pls excuse if i don't hit all the bases.

:help: During install of EE (air switch), tech shorted R01 to 24v. Popped 3A "suitcase" fuse couple of times but now machine is permanently faulted.

a. "Power down to recover..." message shown on TP after initial software load on power-up.
    b. 3v, 24v, and SRVEMG LED's on Servo Amp blink at about 90hz rate WHILE observing what sounds like a relay clicking at same rate.
    c. Shift>Deadman stops LED blinking and kills SVREMG LED but machine in error state.
    c. WE note error SRV-058 Init error on error log.
    d. I see light (Red) in fiber cable when cable is plugged into motherboard & detached from servo amp - but - No red on opposite strand when looking at the cable when attached to servo and detached from mother. Fiber cable was rung out and it appears to be good. Cable is soft mounted on non-moving parts so movement is minimal.

Pushing my luck: We have a document "B-82725EN-2/06" that shows the connections to the EE. The diagram shows a PNP transistor on the EE end with 24v, R01, and Load legs. Can someone tell me if this is in the EE unit or it should be added outside the robot circuitry. Per above, tech attempted to install transistor into the circuit and possibly reversed the 24v and R01 on the transistor, ?possibly sending the load voltage back into the R01 pin?

Thanks everyone - the forum has been a lifesaver.

Any comments VERY welcome.

• Pushing my luck: We have a document "B-82725EN-2/06" that shows the connections to the EE. The diagram shows a PNP transistor on the EE end with 24v, R01, and Load legs. Can someone tell me if this is in the EE unit or it should be added outside the robot circuitry. Per above, tech attempted to install transistor into the circuit and possibly reversed the 24v and R01 on the transistor, ?possibly sending the load voltage back into the R01 pin?

The transistor in internal to the robot and does not need to be wired. On the diagram you should see a box that states "mechanical unit". Anything in that box is internal to the robot and does not need to be wired.

Check out the Fanuc position converter I wrote here! Now open source!

Check out my example Fanuc Ethernet/IP Explicit Messaging program here!

• Thank you, re the transistors - this helps immensely.
    Anyone have an idea where to start to fix this? Diags? etc? Anyone recommend a shop that does this?

Thank you!

Edited once, last by kotam ().

• Hi All,
    The Document i referenced (with diagram) referrs to the "end Effector Interface." As newbie, we were wiring directly to the EE port on the arm and do not have the said EEI - thus the transistor in the diagram "box" (in doc referenced above) was not in the native circuit and we were wiring directly to the servo amp.

:hahaha: After spending hour on the phone with Fanuc and listening to the diagnosis/pitch on a $10+K servo amp, i purchased one via auction as NOS for less than $1k.

Further comparison with the new servo amp and ours demonstrates two pin holes blown in a Toshiba darlington sink transistor at cost of $0.65. We happened to have this chip and upon replacing it, our totalled $10+K servo amp came right back to life and runs like a top. Fiber channel came back, errors went bye bye, relay-like ticking stopped and all's well. Note on the lower, left of the daughter board on the servo amp, three chips (and 3 only) are in sockets .vs. being soldered to the board like the rest of the population. These contain no software or EEPROM so why change them? I'm no expert but one might wonder why only these three IC's are in a socket and the other stuff is soldered. Hmmm??? The datasheet on the Toshiba IC also notes that the load on the IC is maxed at 750ma - when it's in a circuit ?which has 3.2A suitcase fuses?

From the days of fanuc (Cincinatti Milacron) molding machines, we're always wary of IC's that are in optioned into sockets.

Thanks for your help.
    Blessings!

Now we can get to the programming.

• The ICs are socketed so they can be changed, it's a shame that they did not offer this advice to you. I keep a few with me just in case.
    For reference, just the control board by itself can be replaced if the circuit is too burnt, instead of the entire amp.
    The 3.2A fuse covers all RDO plus other uses, that is why it's 3.2A.
    Although the datasheet on the IC states a max of 0.75A, that's only one of the outputs when it's mounted directly to an ideal circuit board. EE outputs should maintain no more than the 0.2A as stated in the manual if you want to keep the IC from getting too hot and melting the socket or worse.

• Update on the Servo Amp mess -
    After numerous calls to Fanuc licensing (to relicense), support (for software), and many ignored commitments, the Mi office has taken good care of us with the following:

Re-licensing of the machine...
    Ip Socket Messaging ($900)
    Updates to the full original software set.
    1 Year x 24 phone supprt..
    Full document set.
    Total $3000.xx..

Special Thanks to Barb at Fanuc for some great help.

Advertising from our partners