S4C+ 2400L installing a 7th axis. Did I hook it up right?

• Not to be the one to throw in the towel, but have you thought about just getting a MU10/100 ?

Haha every single day, I just don't have the capital! I have a general plan laid out to upgrade this cell for a while and hopefully within 12 months swap everything out for a 6600 with a pre-installed 7th.

There's so much other stuff we still need in the company, with the robot just baaarely squeaking out the parts, it's hard to stop everything else and just get it done like real adults!

• So that motor burned up as well, which was the reason for not moving!

The current rating for a "G" size amp is 16.5Arms avg & 29.7Arms max, for a "T" size amp it's 20Arms avg & 36.8Arms max.
    If you're using that small 3HAB3125-1 motor, you are overdriving it big time. You need a much smaller amp. What amps do you have available?

• You need a much smaller amp. What amps do you have available?

No other ones that can do a 7th axis. I thought the rating was a maximum, and anything under that was fine.. that must not be the case? The torque is too high for this motor I think, even through the reducer.

It's probably going to be easiest to order a (compatible) bigger servo motor and use the resolver from this A5 motor, at this point.

• Which version of Robotware are you using ?

I know you said you got a bunch of weird internal servo errors, but humor me and try to set the motor type to:
    #
    MOTOR:

-name "M7C1B1" -use_motor_type "3HAB3125-2" -use_motor_calib "M7C1B1"

In RW4.80 that's what they're using as motortype in the CFG for the 2400's.
    I don't have an older version availible to look at, but if you do then post or send me the m24805fs.cfg file, found in the robots\2400m98\irbcfg folder.

And yes, a bigger drive should be able to run a smaller motor without any issues (it's probably better to run a smaller motor off a smaller drive from a dynamics point of view, but it should handle the current limitation OK.

• I tried 3125-2 without any luck, same errors!
    I have RW 4.8 as well.

I don't know if I believe that the motor is over its torque limit but it's definitely looking better and better to buy a new servo and build a belt-driven table (rather than wormgear)

Edited once, last by kb ().

• Well, I burned up 3 ABB motors from our junk arm, just because 50% of the motor data was a guess. Now I bought an older Fanuc A06B-0314-B002 with a motor data tag.

Here's my new issue:
    The motor will only turn about 22.5°, then it "hits a wall" and gives a joint collision or joint speed error 50052. It's acting like it's got the wrong pole pair number, but no matter what I set that to, it's stuck in its little 22.5° window.

A couple notes:
    The motor states it has 8 poles. (should be 4 pole pairs, correct?)
    It spins easily when power isn't applied, holds just fine when it is applied. (Doesn't have a brake)
    I applied +VDC to S, and -VDC to T phase, let it spin to its pole zero, and set commutation. I'm using a resolver/encoder from one of the ABB motors on the Fanuc motor shaft.

I've attached the latest MOC file (was playing with pole pairs). Any ideas why I'm stuck?

• I unbolted the resolver (ABB resolver on the fanuc motor) and I've been incrementing the rotation. Using the jog window so I can see the position, it consistently rotates in a 21° window, and on the edges of that it gives a joint collision error.

Also tried turning off collision detection / speed detection. It hits the same limit as before (in the 21° window), the only difference is it doesn't throw an error.

Number of poles = 8. Pole pairs must be 4. Orient phase to magnets = commutation. That's the meat and potatoes, isn't it? Then tuning?

• SOLVED!

Alright so the ext axis manual says to hook up a DC source with +VDC to S, -VDC to T. I just swapped that around (-v to S, +v to T), commutated, and it seems to be working.

Maybe that's just for Fanuc, I don't know. Or maybe the Fanuc wiring diagram is looking into the cord plug, not the motor plug.

Advertising from our partners