Failing to boot with clonezilla (krc2 ed05)

• Hello all, its my 1st time posting on this forum, i am completely new to robotics and we recently bought a:

-kr200 L140 comp 2,
    -krc2 ed05 Daimler version,
    -Celeron 2.0Ghz and 512 mb ram,
    -windows XP embedded 2.0, KSS 5.6.6.
    -BIOS V4.06 R1.05-08.1688.01

I would like to create a backup image of HDD before doing something stupid, but so far did not manage to boot with clonezilla. Installed cd-rom drive with success, burned 2 cd's with 2 different clonezilla (.iso) versions i486 and i686, choose cd-rom from boot menu, then the cursor is blinking on top of the screen for a few seconds... before finally loading to windows. :wallbash: Does anyone know which version of clonezilla works with this controller or should i continue burning cd's until i find a working one?
    Do i miss something else?

Thanks in advance for any help!

• you may want to connect external keyboard and hold F10 when powering up.
    hold the button pressed for few seconds (until you see "F10 detected" at the bottom of the screen).
    then you can choose alternate boot device... otherwise it is always going to boot from HDD.

1) read pinned topic: READ FIRST...

2) if you have an issue with robot, post question in the correct forum section... do NOT contact me directly

3) read 1 and 2

• Never run Clonezilla on the controller itself, you may cause BIOS conflicts. Extract the hard drive, plug it into a native IDE port of another machine(no IDE->USB adapters, as that can be unstable).
    The host PC should have no other drives connected to it. I boot Clonezilla from a flash drive, and dump the existing drive also onto a second(separate) USB flash drive. Restoration goes fine as well.

Use the "dd" method when cloning, partclone is likely to fail. It takes longer, but is much cleaner. Also remember to leave the compression on default(gzip IIRC), otherwise you'll be stuck with a large file. Mine, after compression, ended up being about 1.2GB.

• Hi all and thanks for your quick replies! :respect:

I have connected keyboard, mouse and external monitor. When pressing F2 i am able to access bios settings, when pressing F12 I get boot options and when pressing F10 it directly resumes windows (Although when in bios the message: "F10 key detected..." appears on the bottom left of the screen). Now when i choose cd-rom from boot options it appears like if clonezilla live cd is not bootable or a timeout occurs in boot priorities. I followed instructions here:
    https://clonezilla.org/show-li…9_Burn_Clonezilla_live_CD
    Now concerning taking out HDD from controller its something that i would like to avoid for now, at least not before i allready have a working backup image, or if i have no other choise! In that case i have both IDE to usb adaptor and an old alienware which supports IDE (I still have to mount it in a case thought).

Any further suggestions would be highly appreciated, thanks in advance!

• Booting Clonezilla on the controller is likely to cause malfunctions. You pretty much have no other choice.

The only way to do it safely is to take the hard drive out. It's usually held on with two snap clips, there's no need to disassemble the KUKA cage.

• Booting Clonezilla on the controller is likely to cause malfunctions. You pretty much have no other choice.

The only way to do it safely is to take the hard drive out. It's usually held on with two snap clips, there's no need to disassemble the KUKA cage.

Can you expand on this? I've used CloneZilla directly on many KRC2s in the past (and before that, Norton Ghost, back when you could build bootable floppies for it), and never had any issues. This is the first time I've ever even heard of any potential risk. I've also booted KRC2s to "normal" Linux distros on CD or USB, and used 'dd' from the command line directly, again with no issues.

Beyond that, I've also done the "remove and clone" process as well. It's no more risky than doing it on an ordinary PC -- you just need to be careful (don't touch the solder joints on the drive board, use static protection, be gentle with the connectors, etc). So it's not a process one needs to be paranoid about, just take standard precautions. Buying an IDE-to-USB converter so you can connect the robot's HD to the external PC more easily is a good idea.

• Can you expand on this?

The issue lies with the peripherals(MFC/KVA cards) and BIOS. If the distribution you're booting tries to communicate to them, which it may(for discovery or other purposes), you can have a number of funny outcomes since neither unit is expecting any data other than the kind it's designed for. I've had it hang cold once.

It's not a big risk, but it's something to avoid as good practice, because removing the hard drive is also going to speed the process up quite significantly(when you archive the image at runtime).

Advertising from our partners