Arc Sensor

• Hi All,

I would like to try the arc sensor (with a GMAW robot).
    I have examined the existing manuals (Robotware Arc, Functions and data types, Rapid owerview) but didn't find any detailed desctriprion.

If I understand well, I have to use an optional argument '\Corr' in the ArcL, ArcC instructions to switch to path correction.

"Then the optional argument \Corr must be used in these movement instructions. The path
    corrections will then be programmed using CorrXXX instructions, see below. These
    instructions are only available if the option Path Offset or the option RobotWare-Arc sensor
    are installed.
    "

I didn't find the 'Corr' optional argument... :frowning_face:
    So the Robotware Arc sensor is probably not installed on this controller...

First, can you recommend a manual that lights me up about Arc Sensor?
    How to setup, and use it in the program...

I have found the following instructions related to path correction:

• CorrClear
    • CorrCon
    • CorrDiscon
    • CorrRead
    • CorrWrite
    • Data type: corrdescr

However it is not clear for me, are these for optical tracking, or can be used also for arc sensor correction.

Please share your experience.

Best regards,

Andras

• Are you referring to weld guide? Our system has smart-tac and the weld guide installed. The weld guide uses the voltage and current values of your arc to adjust your track and follow the seam. Works mint.

The corrXXX cmds still require a sensor that I am not familiar with. You should contact abb for any information regarding seam tracking. Its is likely that you need more hardware.

If you read a little further down...
    These instructions and the data type will make it possible to add certain offsets to a programmed
    path, while the robot is moving. The offsets to add can be values given from a
    sensor connected to the system via e.g. serial link or via analog input

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Edited once, last by jarm ().

• Sorry. I was wrong.

\Corr optional argument is belong to Move instructions.

ArcX instructions has /Track optional argument...
    It is in another part of the manual :smiling_face:
    I will check it.

You're right. It will be the Weld Guide...

• According to the information I have, Arc sensor doesn't need any other hardware.
    I have got in touch with the local ABB support, to get this cleared. :smiling_face:

Mainly the Arc sensor uses the change in the arc voltage while we weaving the torch during welding to have a control signal for "tracking".
    Hovever it is not a conventional tracking, as optical tracking.
    Arc sensor can work with fillet welds, and bevelled groove welds.

So in my imagination, the robot controller should use the signals of the welding power source (arc voltage).
    In this case, I don't think that are any other hardware needed.
    As I know, our power source communicates with the robot via DeviceNet (or I/O card)...

I often use its I/O signals in the program (feed forward, feed retract, torchblowout etc.)

• It’s called weld guide. It’s a through the arc tracking system. There’s an add on board and a sensor that the positive power cable runs through. We have this add on on our 4600 using a GMAW system.
    I’m just saying it’s hard to believe that ABB would develop this system they sold us if the robot system was natively able to track a seam exactly the way this weld guide system does. I’ve seen crazy before but I think in this circumstance your mistaken. Good luck to you.

Edited once, last by jarm ().

• It’s called weld guide. It’s a through the arc tracking system. There’s an add on board and a sensor that the positive power cable runs through. We have this add on on our 4600 using a GMAW system.
    I’m just saying it’s hard to believe that ABB would develop this system they sold us if the robot system was natively able to track a seam exactly the way this weld guide system does. I’ve seen crazy before but I think in this circumstance your mistaken. Good luck to you.

I have got the answer.
    Yes, Weld Guide is needed for arc sensor with some extra hardware.
    On the other hand the cost is nearly the same as an optical tracking system...
    However this solution doesn't limit the access as a camera...

• As I've had a stupid issue with the WG system from ABB, let me give you one small piece of advice: be weary of the PollRate of the board where you connect the WG inputs. This particular problem gave us quite the pain in the rear for a whole week until we managed to figure out why the system wasn't working.

• As I've had a stupid issue with the WG system from ABB, let me give you one small piece of advice: be weary of the PollRate of the board where you connect the WG inputs. This particular problem gave us quite the pain in the rear for a whole week until we managed to figure out why the system wasn't working.

That's why it's recommended that you use an ABB I/O (or one compatible with CoS) and use "Change of State" rather than polled connection, when set up as CoS then Poll Rate is only used to check that the board is "alive" and having a low setting will only bog down the system.

• This would have been nice to know before installing the system. The WG bit was a retrofit to a system that originally had only SmarTac installed. The ABB guys here had no prior experience with WG so the whole comissioning was very touch and go, and the support wasn't clear on a lot of things when we tried to get answers.

Advertising from our partners