KRC4 Compact General power supply error

• Hello everyone!

I’ve been pretty stumped about what’s happening with our controller and manipulator. Controller is a KRC4 Compact and manipulator is KR10 R1100. Everything was working great until one day it threw error codes and did an override shutdown. Here are the error codes:

KSS26233 - Error: Intermediate circuit overcurrent (supply)(1) originator: drive
    KSS26130 - Error: charging of intermediate circuit failed (supply)(1) originator: drive
    KSS26015 - General power supply error (1) originator: drive

I did toggle the drives on/off and even did a cold start to clear off codes. Error codes only appear when I press the enabling switch. All signs point out to a KPP problem. When I looked inside the KRC4 compact, no error faults nor fuses were blown. And when I did a visual inspection in the drive box, I didn’t see any signs of burnt cables or liquids dripping. Usually with high voltage electronics, there should be some sort of sign pointing out to a problem with either LED faults and/or burnt cables/capacitors/boards.

Still pretty new to the Kuka world. Any advice would help. Thank you very much for your time.

• Given their reliability requirements, the KPP modules are designed to (ideally) fail before they hit the point of producing arcs, sparks, or obvious carbon scoring.

This doesn't always work, in conditions where people leave the cabinets open and allow dust, oil vapor, or other contaminants to accumulate inside the modules, but that doesn't appear to be the case here.

If you have another KRC, or a stock of spare parts, the quick option is probably to try swapping out the KPP and see what happens.

• Ordering the spare part from Kuka. Hopefully an engineer comes and gives advice of preventing this happening again. The unit is barely a year old. If you or the rest of the community have any suggestions, please chime in. Our power is rated at 220, single phase. Our robot is used for film and entertainment, hence traveling from studio to studio. Besides a dedicated circuit, what box in between the controller and mains should we purchase to further protect our investment?

• Hm. Well, I would ask KUKA about the possibility of getting a root failure analysis done on the bad unit. It could just be a case of a lemon getting past quality control.

Beyond that, if you think local power conditions are to blame, I would suggest looking into a mains power conditioner, or possibly a high-end UPS (with sufficient output to support the robot's max current draw), to clean up harmonics or other "dirty" factors in the power supply.

• Thank you very much SkyeFire and the rest of the community. I’ve learned a lot from reading this forum. Just to let everyone know that our KRC4 Power problem was rectified. It was indeed just a bad KPP board.

However, it’s still not a bad idea to protect your investment. If anyone can suggest a high end UPS that has been tested, or even an isolation transformer, that will be great. I know Kuka sells an isolation transformer unit but only for their bigger cabinet. Looking for a solution using a KRC4 Compact.

Thank you!

• Hi Will? (If that's the real name :smiling_face:

Did you find a suitable solution such as transformer or UPS that works with the KRC4 controller? I have a similar need and its hard to get definitive info on what will work best...

Thanks

• Hello, I am having a Drive power issue with a KR20 Robot and can't seem to rectify it on my own.

Posting here as it is the most directly relatable post I can find.

Robot: KR20 R1810-2

Controller: KR C5 S6 AC

Cabinet: KR C5 dualcab AC

Background:

We have been commissioning this robot for the last 3-4 weeks and it arrived new approx. 2 months ago. Originally, I forgot to plug in the backup battery 24V power supply for the UPS circuit. Since then it has been plugged in and functions now. Prior to this, the controller had been shutoff multiple times without the proper soft shutdown procedures. Luckily, we have not had any issues with this until today.

Note: The safety has not been wired so we are using startup mode to configure and test our programs.

Problem:

There are no errors when power is applied to the KRC5. When I put the robot in Start-Up mode and press the enable switch there is no power to the drives and after a 3 second delay I get the acknowledgement error

"Charging Failed Power Supply 1"

I am having trouble posting images of the pendant screen for reference however there is not much more than the error above.

Note:

I tested the 3~ 480 power supply and it seems to be fine.

Since adding the UPS battery the KRC5 shuts down properly.

The robot was running fine in startup mode for the last month without this error occurrence.

Solution:

As I went through some basic troubleshooting to ensure that this post was relevant and accurate I actually solved our problem.

It seems that the RDC data was most likely lost, corrupted or factory reset during the hard shutdowns without the UPS. Which is funny because the program data was still intact? I noticed that the startup wizard was no longer completed as it was during original power on date. I simply renamed the controller to its original name and saved the RDC data.

I now have power to my drives again. Hope this helps someone else with similar issues.

• It seems that the RDC data was most likely lost, corrupted or factory reset during the hard shutdowns without the UPS. Which is funny because the program data was still intact? I noticed that the startup wizard was no longer completed as it was during original power on date. I simply renamed the controller to its original name and saved the RDC data.

I now have power to my drives again. Hope this helps someone else with similar issues.

That doesn't seem right. A loss of RDC data should not cause the error messages you were getting. There should have been a specific error message. Even a loss of RDC data usually does not disable the drives in T1 mode, as the most frequent issue with RDC data is a loss/corruption/questionable rating of Mastering.

Generally, any RDC data or communication error should force you to re-Master the robot, with the related error messages.

• Thanks for the Reply, it makes sense the RDC data should not disable the drives, however I cannot come to any alternative conclusion.

Since I made the change to the Controller name from Factory "0" to "PolyNovaKR20" and saved the data, I regained power to the drives.

I opened WorkVisual, browsed for the project and deployed with the new controller data. Since then, I am able to Shut down / restart the controller with no issue.

• This problem has been solved and I wanted to update the forum in case anyone else has a similar issue.

It turned out that the KRC5 dualcab AC has a transformer which can be tapped for different input voltages.

Two separate manufacture labels on the cabinet specified the supply voltage was ~3 480VAC which was supplied to the cabinet. However the transformer was tapped for ~3 600VAC input.

The transformer was rewired and the issue has been rectified. There is no sign of damage to the KRC5.

Thanks for everyone's input

Advertising from our partners