I have one problem with my controller rj2 fanuc

• Hello everybody I have one problem with my controller. I can’t boot or start any screen in my tp I changed the cable and to for other one and always have the same screen on my tp :help:
    First problem I saw when I turn it on controller tp cable broke the fuse F3 and replace the cable then the robot works correctly but when I press deadman and shift again the fuse F3 broke
    Then I repair the cable and work on other controller and put again and the screen is a waiting never start. And boot

I stay in this screen
    Vram, cgram clear. : complete
    Internal ram testing. : ok
    External ram testing. : ok but with characters (ian8)&49ji$)

• I know this thread is an old one but i think it could still be relevant; as i am having a similar problem with my R-J3ib. I have attached a photo of the TP screen.

This happened after i changed the following parameters.

$SPARAM_GROUP.SVOFF.ALL: = FALSE

$SPARAM_GROUP.SV_OFFENB[*] : FALSE

This was an attempt to turn off the servo brakes, The manual instructed to turn the power on and off again after the parameters were changed.

when i turned the control back on this is what i got. and then nothing after a few seconds.

I would greatly appreciate any insight anyone has about this issue.

i would love to get my 165f going.

• try the teach on/off switch on the pendant. Does the led "Teach Pendant On" on the controller's operator panel activate ? When I had the same problem on some RJ2 controllers, it was due to bad teach pendant cable connector at the teach pendant's end. Try and hold the cable connector at the bottom of the teach pendant hard and firm, reboot the system and check if this solves your problem. I stopped buying cables some years now. I am using teflon tape around the cable connector to make it hold firm inside the teach pendant connector :smiling_face_with_sunglasses:

• Is that the right pendant for your R-J3iB? What part # is on the back? If Arc Welding overlay, should be A05B-2301-C372, not A05B-2301-C302.

The pendant cable should be 2004-T411/L=xxxx

The picture shows the initial teach pendant power up screen that clears once data is received from the controller. Check the 7-segment display on the Main Board to see if there is an error code. If it's a decimal point, then the controller booted fine and the problem is likely the teach pendant, teach pendant cable, or the panel board.

• Is that the right pendant for your R-J3iB? What part # is on the back? If Arc Welding overlay, should be A05B-2301-C372, not A05B-2301-C302.

The pendant cable should be 2004-T411/L=xxxx

The picture shows the initial teach pendant power up screen that clears once data is received from the controller. Check the 7-segment display on the Main Board to see if there is an error code. If it's a decimal point, then the controller booted fine and the problem is likely the teach pendant, teach pendant cable, or the panel board.

Skooter; The pendant is A05B-2301-C370 For years 2002-03 (2003-04 = same year as my setup anyway)

The 7-seg readout just has just a Decimal point displayed

I also have a M6iB with R-J3iB, I use a #A05B-2490-C175 i-pendant For years 2001-04,

Scooter Would you know if ok to use the I pendant & cord for both units =when i am testing?

if not the tp or cord; I have an extra panel board that i can change out to see if that is the problem.

I want to eliminate the tp first.

Thanks again

• If the 7-segment has a period, then it is most likely a communication issue between the pendant and the Main Board. Make sure the cables on the Panel Unit and the Main Board are properly seated in the correct places. I would try the pendant & cable from the R-J3iB M-6iB together as a single unit. This will keep a T.P. cable issue on the R-2000 from possibly damaging the iPendant.

• Hello Again Guys, I switched the TP with my other i-pendant and cord, Unfortunately; No change.

I replaced the door panel board with a spare, and no change

I noticed the 2 or 3 green lights on the emergency stop board were not turning on, so i switched the contactor & emergency stop board and still no change.

Like i mentioned before; When i first purchased and hooked up this unit, i changed a few parameters and turned the control off and then on again (per instructions) and this failure to fully boot up was the result,.

if i try and do a controlled start after holding prev + next i can get to the option screen but after i select controlled start, it just goes back to blank screen.

i have not done an initial start yet.

• If you get to the option screen, then there is communication with the teach pendant. The operating system doesn't see a system failure if you're getting a decimal point on the Main Board 7-segment display. It seems to lockup even when trying to load the Controlled Start menu from the Configuration menu.

Usually when a system doesn't finish booting up, I do this:

Try a Cold Start.

Power off and verify all connections and all boards are full seated in the backplane.

Try Cold Start again and verify the Main Board 7-segment display makes it to the decimal point.

Power up to the Boot Monitor to verify pendant communications and then try a Controlled Start.

Try another teach pendant and cable and then try Controlled Start again.

Power up to the Boot Monitor and do an Init Start.

Reload software.

• Thank you again for the help on this Skooter; I will take a look at your recommendations in the next 48 hours or so.

I was testing some fuses, i had forgot to put the 3 fuses on the servo amp back in, That time i noticed that one of the light on the lower emergency stop bort came on. I have a feeling what's going on is what's called a "Single Chain Failure" From what i understand is the only option i have is an initial start. So this is the plan but first i need to pull out what memory i can. Unfortunately I do not have the original software. I have tried several times to download the image files only to get an error saying the the 250mb mc did not have 18mb of free space on it, I was finally able to pull what i believe is part of the memory out,    See screen shot of tp of memory i was able to extract.

In the initial boot screen on startup says i have 118 files, This photo is the second and last screen of data i pulled off the controller. DOES THIS LOOK LIKE ENOUGH TO BE THE WHOLE IMAGE FILE OF THE CONTROLLER? IS THERE ANY OTHER FILES LIKE TP I NEED TO PULL?

• That seems to be a complete image. This has nothing to do with the 118 files mentioned above, except that they are included in the image. The image is a byte wise 1:1 copy of the FROM and SRAM memory.

• As hermann said, it is a complete backup that includes the TP files. I personally always make sure the MC is empty to start when doing a backup on R-J3 & R-J3iB,

I have a feeling what's going on is what's called a "Single Chain Failure" From what i understand is the only option i have is an initial start.

I'm curious why you believe a single chain failure would be the issue. Can you get to an error screen?

After you take the image, try loading reloading the image and see if it will finish booting.

• Well the rJ3iB controller for the 165F is backup and running;

Just Like Skooter said,=" do a controlled start and see what happens

I was surprised that alone was essentially enough to bring it back to life -, But then i uploaded the image files and its off to solve the rest of the faults!

I was wondering if anyone knew if any of the GM Fanuc j3ib systems actually required the brake release in order to function?

I have been going through fanuc manual after manual but there is not much mentioned about the break release option.

The reason i ask: I noticed that all of the fanuc robot systems that were for sale had a break release box except mine had been snached off, probly to fix another unit in service, It has the marking remnants of one that was once hooked up.

Thanks again guys for guiding me through this, you know who you are.

Have a great night!

• All of the robots I cut my teeth on were old GM robots and they all had the brake release option.

That being said there was a way to by pass that if I remember correctly. I will see if I can find the procedure and let you know.

They are a pain in the butt to work with.

• I believe this is the method I used to fix that and other issues related to the GM's. Please use at your discretion as I cannot claim to be an expert and if any of the real experts here see an issue please speak up. Hope it helps.

TO CLEAR I/O

The IO declaration is in F2 "config" portion of the I/O screen. Change the columns to all be 0 to disable everything!

An alternative and usually faster way would be to clear assignments. To do that, do the following (This may not be an option, as all versions of software do not have this)

Go into the I/O screen

press F1 "Type"

choose "link device"

press F5 "CLR_assgn"

recycle power and everything should be cleared!

• I have been unable to work on this because of the newest problem that just arrived. when i fire up my old gm fanuc 165f the script on the TP starts flashing on and off, I am unable to get it to stop and none of the buttons work.

If anyone wants to take a look i have a brief youtube video showing this in action (https://youtu.be/eXOzOM5VoO4

Previous to this I had just hooked up the yellow and grey aircraft connected wires to the old spot welder cabinet in an attempt to get the old ethernet/devicenet system turned on and working.

This flashing TP was the result,

Advertising from our partners