ABB 540 S4P cabinet with E-stop problem

• Hi all,

I currently have a 540 paint robot with a S4P cabinet.
    When i turn it on, it won't let me jog the robot, it is saying my e-stop is active, the e-stop on the cabinet and the pendant are ok. I am thinking that because this is second hand that it may still have the last persons safety fitted, can anyone point me in the right direction as to where the safety can be shorted out?

Regards
    Jamie

• I'm not familiar w/ the 540, but there is probably a terminal strip with connections for external signals - E-stop in particular. I'll check one of our 580's to see if they might be similar.

[edit] On my S4P+ cabinet, connector X21 is on the right side, near the bottom. I'll have to find the manual to see which connections are the external E-stop.

Edited once, last by Iowan ().

• Hi Iowan

Thanks for the reply, is the X21 connector you are on about on the AP1 cabinet mod? because if so then its a 4 way connector that is linked into the I/O signals on the AP2 back plane on XS2. Is this what you are on about? also is your cabinet one that looks very similar to an M98 S4C cabinet because I have seen there is a few different types of S4Paint cabinets?

Regards
    Jamie

• also is your cabinet one that looks very similar to an M98 S4C cabinet because I have seen there is a few different types of S4Paint cabinets?

No, this S4P+ cabinet has no "lid", but a double-stack of indicators on the left side.
    However... I found an older S4P machine that DOES look like the M98 S4C cabinet. Now to find the prints...

[edit] Found the circuit diagrams (3HNE 00523-1)...
    Connector X3 has EMY STOP connections:
    A3 - A4 (EMY STOP CAT 0+)
    B3 - B4 (EMY STOP CAT 0-)
    C1(+) C2(-) (EMY STOP CHAIN ID EXT. SUPPLY)
    C11 - C12 (EXT. EMY STOP CAT 1+)
    D9 - D10 (EXT EMY RESET)
    D11 - D12 (EXT EMT STOP CAT 1-)
    There are other connections shown:
    D1-D3-D5-D7
    D2-D4-D6-D8

On further investigation, it looks like X14 could bypass E-stops:
    X14:1 - X14:2
    X14:3 - X14:4
    X14:5 - X14:6
    X14:7 - X14:8

Edited once, last by Iowan ().

• Hi Iowan

I have just tried all of that but still no avail.
    I can't believe that taking out the whole e-stop chain hasn't changed a thing. Do you reckon it could be the AP1 Cabinet Mod board itself?
    Is there anyway I can get some contact details off you so I can start sending you pictures?
    Your help has been much appreciated Iowan

Regards
    Jamie

• ... so I can start sending you pictures?

The forum allows pictures to be posted. There should be a link marked "+ Attachments and other options" below the reply box.
    While I won't rule out the AP1 Cabinet Mod board, there are a couple of relays you might check first. (I'll have to go find the docs again to get the numbers...)
    If you don't mind a long, long, ... long wait, ABB tech support will probably be helpful. I've been exchanging emails to solve an external axis problem.

• I have just tried all of that but still no avail.

Iowan has you covered regarding the jumpers & connections but have you verified those jumpers are making connection and the voltages are correct?

Are the ES OK+ and ES OK- LEDs on? If not then:
    You should measure +24V with positive on X3:C12 and negative on X3:D12 (pg 24)
    You should measure +24V with positive on X3:A4 and negative on X3:B4 (pg 23)
    Verify ZB1 by measuring +24V with positive on X5:11 and negative on X5:13 (pg 25)

Let us know what you find.

• Thank you Iowan and Skooter

See attached photos of the AP1 board.

I am not getting any voltage at those places you suggest Skooter.
    The Panel - and AMS - LED's are very dim, other than that, nothing else is coming on.

Do you know where these relays may be Iowan? I noticed that when supplying air to the robot one of the relays comes on but the LED on the Flow is never lighting up.

• My apologies, X5:11 > X5:13 should measure 12V, not 24V.
    Use X3:A1 as the 0V reference for the following:
    Verify the +12V_EMY by measuring at X5:9
    Verify the +24V_EMY by measuring at X3:C11
    Is there a jumper from X3:B1 > X3:B2?
    Verify the +24V_SYS1 at X3:B1

• Hi Skooter
    I am struggling to locate the X5 connector, can you tell me where i will find this?
    I have the jumper X3:B1 to X3:B2
    I will verify the voltages when I get to work.

Thanks again

• Hi Skooter
    I am struggling to locate the X5 connector, can you tell me where i will find this?
    I have the jumper X3:B1 to X3:B2
    I will verify the voltages when I get to work.

Thanks again

I have no voltages at any of the points you have shown

Advertising from our partners