Disabling External Axis

• I have a system containing an R-30iB, AM120iC with two external axis, assigned to groups 2 and 3 which are on separate manipulators, but all controlled by the same brake.

I'd like to disable a group when the robot isn't in a specific reference position/area as a safety feature, but can't seem to find a simple solution.

I'll be super grateful if anyone has any ideas.

Edited once, last by jbailey ().

• Disabling a group is super easy, just go MENU > TEST CYCLE > Press F2 to select the group then select Disable next to Group Motion. Unfortunately I have no idea how you could automate that.

So probably not much help.

• Disabling a group is super easy, just go MENU > TEST CYCLE > Press F2 to select the group then select Disable next to Group Motion. Unfortunately I have no idea how you could automate that.

So probably not much help.

This is not safety rated though.

I have a system containing an R-30iB, AM120iC with two external axis, assigned to groups 2 and 3 which are on separate manipulators, but all controlled by the same brake.

I'd like to disable a group when the robot isn't in a specific reference position/area as a safety feature, but can't seem to find a simple solution.

I'll be super grateful if anyone has any ideas.

Do you have DCS on this robot? You could assign a zero speed zone on Groups 2 and 3 that is muted when the arm is in position to work with those groups.

Check out the Fanuc position converter I wrote here! Now open source!

Check out my example Fanuc Ethernet/IP Explicit Messaging program here!

• I don't have DCS, but it was something I was looking at yesterday.

I wasn't sure if it would achieve what I needed, but I didn't realise you could set the speed to zero with the areas. I'll need to check that it meets the necessary safety standards, because something in my the back of my mind is saying that zero speed doesn't count as disabled. If it does then that may just solve the problem.

I'll look into the local stop option too.

Edited once, last by jbailey ().

• It turns out that the DCS actually solved the issue.

We applied a reference area to a zero speed setting in the DCS and now if you try and move the group the robot's not pointing at, it calls a fault.

Thanks for all your help.

Advertising from our partners