Remote vs. Local Start - R30iA Fanuc

• Good morning,

I recently got some external cycle start, fault reset, and hold pushbuttons working on my R30iA controller. Unfortunately, after changing the start signal to "remote", the local buttons do not work, but I've heard of methods on allowing both remote and local cycle start buttons to work. How can I set this up? Is there an option somewhere I can change on the teach pendant?

Thanks!

• This question has come up before and Nation had a good answer:

This works for the Cycle Start Pushbutton on the operator panel, but not for the cycle start pushbutton on the actual R-30iA controller. Whenever I press start on the R-30iA, I get Syst-005 UOP is the master device. I do not see flags, UI, or DI come on when I press cycle start on the R-30iA controller (but I do see them when the cycle start on the Operator panel is pressed). Do I need to wire the cycle start on the R-30iA into the DI designated for cycle start?

Thanks,

• You will have to remap the start bit of your UOP to a flag (rack 34), then create a background program that monitors your original start bit (probably DI[6]), and also monitors SI[6], which is the cycle start button on the robot controller. Then when either of these goes high, set the flag, which sets the start UI, starting your robot.

Code
    : F[1:start]=(SI[6] OR DI[6]) ;

Also, you may want to mask out the syst-005 alarm, since it will still show up with this method.

Check out the Fanuc position converter I wrote here! Now open source!

Check out my example Fanuc Ethernet/IP Explicit Messaging program here!

• Excellent, I found it know. Did not know SI even existed until now. I got both remote and local to work.

How do you mask out alarms? Also, are there any other errors that would be good practice to mask out besides Syst-005 while I'm at it.

Thanks!

• You can mask out alarms by going to MENU->SETUP->ERROR TABLE. In there you can set up how the robot displays certain alarms. You can't downgrade the severity of alarms (you can increase the severity though, like if for example if you want a disturbance excess to stop the robot). For this fault, we would want to change it so the error was no longer displayed or logged.

To do that, you have to type the fault Fcode (24 for SYST) and FName (5) in, and then change the Errlog value from DEFAULT to NOERLOG.

Check out the Fanuc position converter I wrote here! Now open source!

Check out my example Fanuc Ethernet/IP Explicit Messaging program here!

• To solve this problem, I put these lines of code in my background logic. Essentially, the robot stays in local mode unless the PLC is trying to start it. When the PLC sends the Start or RSR signal, it also turns on DI[112].

When using push buttons instead of a PLC, you could probably modify the IF to look at the push button input instead.

14: !Remote/Local ;
    15: IF (DI[112:OFF:Remote]) THEN ;
    16: $REMOTE_CFG.$REMOTE_TYPE=1 ;
    17: ELSE ;
    18: $REMOTE_CFG.$REMOTE_TYPE=2 ;
    19: ENDIF ;

Advertising from our partners