ProfiNet communication issue

• Hello folks,

We're trying to set up a Fanuc AM 0iB robot with a R30iB Mate controller for an ArcWeld application with a Fronius welding generator. So far, so good.
    We've got a Siemens S1200 PLC with ProfiNet as a center for the cell.

The problem we've run into is in trying to set up the ProfiNet communication between the PLC and the robot. While we can see the robot fine and dandy on the network, and we use the most recent GDSML file from FANUC, we still can't actually communicate with the PLC.
    On the robot's side I can see at the ProfiNet device configuration the error: Connection never established, never tried...and no option to do anything about it. I'm having issues navigating the ProfiNet setup interface that came with this particular robot.

If I can provide other information by which someone could help, please let me know. We're against the clock with this project and this communication issue is holding us back...

• This is basic, but are you plugging the profinet cable into to the profinet card itself and not the CPU board? The ports are not connected. Also, for a slave setup the bottom two ports on the card are used for that. The top two are for when the robot is a master.

Check out the Fanuc position converter I wrote here! Now open source!

Check out my example Fanuc Ethernet/IP Explicit Messaging program here!

• Wich ProfiNet board you have in Your robot, ClaudiuA?

If You have a Siemens CP1604, You need to create *another* Hardware Config project and download it to CP1604 itself.

I did this only with Step7. Don't know if TIA HWConfig generated project will work.

• - Did you assign profinet name to robot with TIA Portal correctly ?
    - Did you set Start Up mode to OPERATION and IO Device is Enabled ?
    - Do you have Fanuc Profinet manual ?

Hello,

Yes and Yes to 1 and 3.

2 is the one I have issues with because, honestly, the MENU -> I/O -> ProfiNet (M) sends me to the application and I don't have a manual for how THIS one works. See image underneath for how the ProfiNet configuration looks in the robot.

• Hello guys.

Thank you very much for the replies.
    We've found our problem. We needed a MOLEX GSDML file, and not a SIEMENS one. It goes to show what happens when someone else orders the robot and doesn't give the installation team full details about what was ordered. Live and learn.

• I also have issues with the Molex card, I have the GSDML file correct and I set up IP, Subnet, Gateway, Name and then slot 1 as PS2 Bytes, 2 as In/Out 16 bytes and 3 as In/Out 16 bytes. But the card won't communicate with my 315 CPU. Any ideas?

• Hi again

Still no luck for me. Im gonna post some pictures, maybe you can help me see if i missed something?

The robot says: "(254) Connection never established, never tried"

PLC says something is there but no connection either.

link to images: https://imgur.com/a/mmSCB

Edited once, last by maizlow ().

• I have te exact same error here, TIA Portal V14 with S7-1200.
    I have set profinet name to robot with TIA, and PLC then gives correct IP adress to robot, so this works.
    but then no communication bitween PLC and robot, i can ping both.
    in TiA i have this error: "Error: IO device failure - RPC common error r30ib-iodevice"

only thing i can think off: i have R30IBPLUS cabinet, wich is a newer version than the regular R30IB cabinet.
    TIA detects the online device as "R30IBPLUS", my gsdml files are dated of the year 2016.

Any ideas?

• I don't.think the controller model would have some influence in this problem. What matters is the model oslf the ProfiNet board (I'm assuming is a Siemens one), and the firmware that is inside the board.

But You downloaded the project to CP1604 ProfiNet board?

A common error (and I'm not saying this is Your case), is that people put ProfiNet name ans IP address in CP1604 board, and think the process is finished.

Is necessary download a different project (only hardware config) inside CP1604. Thia project is different from the Step7/TIA Portal PLC Project.

• I found the problem, i need another GSDML file for the R30IB PLUS controller.
    it has to be "GSDML-V2.33-Fanuc-A05B2600R834V910-20170720.xml"
    the not-plus version is V2.3 instead while the plus version is V2.33
    now it works perfect!

DVD delivered with robot was wrong, it was for the R30ib

• Hello guys.

Thank you very much for the replies.
    We've found our problem. We needed a MOLEX GSDML file, and not a SIEMENS one. It goes to show what happens when someone else orders the robot and doesn't give the installation team full details about what was ordered. Live and learn.

Hey there,

I have the exact same problem, but i can't find the MOLEX GSDML anywhere - could you, or someone else, probably tell me where I can find it?

thanks

Advertising from our partners