Tool Direction

• When jogging in Tool Mode, should +Z move into the part, or away from the part? 14

1. Jogging +Z should move away from the part. (7) 50%
    2. Jogging +Z should move into the part. (6) 43%
    3. No preference. Use whatever you want. (1) 7%

We need help to settle an argument. I am a veteran programmer on a few different robots, and I'm currently working with another old veteran but we have completely different views when it comes to Z TOOL direction. So, I want to post here for all to use. Hopefully, whichever is the winner, more people will see this poll, and start to use a common Z direction for a TOOL.

So, when you develop a TOOL and jog in Tool Mode, tell us which way +Z should move.

• Place your Ad here!
  • For me +Z is away from the part. My logic is that if you point tool down to the ground, +Z should point up, because it's matches standart coordinate system(I always bump the tool if it otherwise).

I'm new in robotics (bachelor degree + 1 year experience)

• It's really a matter of personal preference. Although it's good to set a standard and adhere to it.

In most of my work, Z+ has been the "penetrating" direction of the tool, moving towards the part. However, I've had some manufacturer option packages that worked on the assumption that X+ would be the penetrating direction, and gave me no other option (annoying, that). And I had at least one application where two robots working the same part together in a hammer/anvil type of configuration had their TCPs rotated so that their Z+ axes aligned when they were together at the same process point -- this meant that Z+ was the "approach" direction for one robot, and the "depart" direction for the other. This made things much easier for the Simulation department that was generating the bulk of the robot programs, but was a constant hazard for anyone jogging the robot from the pendant.

• Hi dear friend
    I think so too , In most of my work, Z+ has been the "penetrating" direction of the tool, moving towards the part. However, I've had some manufacturer option packages that worked on the assumption that X+ would be the penetrating direction, and gave me no other option.
    good luck