How to Map DIO to UOP on R-30iA?

• Good morning,

I have general UOP signals tied into my digital I/O module, such as cycle start, hold, fault reset (these 3 are pushbuttons), then enable, sfspd, and imstp (always on). I have them wired into a BMD88A1 module. I need to map these DIO into the UOP i/o. Is this done by matching the racks, slots and starts together? For example, I have DI 9-16 tied to rack 1 slot 2 start 1 and DI 17-24 tied to rack 1 slot 3 start 1. I'll be using these for the UOP signals. So would I tie UI 1-3 into rack 1 slot 2 start 1 and UI 4-6 into rack 1 slot 3 start 1?

Any help would be appreciated, Thanks.

• Without knowing the names of what? I listed the names of the UOP signals I am using. Are you referring to the specific DIO I will map each one to?

Cycle Start = DI 10
    Fault Reset = DI 11
    Hold = DI 12
    Enable = DI 13
    SFSPD = DI 14
    IMSTP = DI 15

I could just simulate on the last 3, so that way I do not have to wire anything into the module, correct?

• Racermike123

If UOP is mapped to DIO, then if I simulate DIO on, it should simulate the UOP signals on, right?

Also, I'm using RSR for the program start option, this was the default setting. I've already enabled UOP signals, but need to change the start option from local to remote. I will try matching the racks between UI signals and DIO signals first to see if that works or not, then try simulating the DIO bits and see if it toggles the UI bits or not.

Also, I'm still not understanding the first part of your initial comment Racermike123, but thanks for the confirmation nonetheless.

• Simulating the DI will not turn on the UI.

What I do is just set those few UIs all to the same DI in the configuration and wire it into an switch for enabling the robot, this way I have a few extra DIs to work with if needed.

• stare284 Thank you for your comment; If I understand correctly, by mapping some of the "always on" signals to the same DI, I could save a few DI, correct?

So for example, the enable, imstp, and sfspd would all wire into the same digital input signal (for example, I would wire 24 VDC directly to DI 6). Then, I map DI 6 to UI 1, 3, and 8 (1 = imstp, 3 = sfspd, 8 = enable). So DI 6, UI 1, UI 3, and UI 8 will have the same rack, slot, and start #, correct? Would this actually work?

Thanks.

• You don't even need to physically wire it. You can map those UOP signals to a flag rack 34 slot 1 or to the always on rack 35 slot 1.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

I've tried configuring the UI to rack 35 slot 1 start 1, but it keeps saying "invalid assignment", so that's why I decided to wire it in instead. I've already enabled UI signals, but have yet to change the start option from "local" to "remote". Should I enable some other options for rack 34 or 35 to work?

Thanks.

• Change to remote, and try mapping to rack 34 slot 1 start 1. Flag 1 should be able to control the UI 1 signal. Make sure F[1] is not used elsewhere, or choose a different start point.

• HawkME Excellent, it's now pending. I'll restart the controller at the next chance.

Now, Where did you learn about Rack 34 controlling the Flags? Can you provide a list for all the Racks on the R30iA controller and what each one does? I found one for LR-Mate on this forum, but not for R30iA.

Also, if I turn these flags on for UI to maintain 24V, will it lose 24V when I restart the controller? Am I forced to manually turn these flags back on every time the controller restarts?

Thanks for the big help.

• I have a simple UOP with a Start Button and a Hold Button. If I use the flag examples shown can I use both Start and Hold buttons simultaneously for a Fault reset?

• Using BG Logic you could do some interesting stuff. I don't like the idea of start and hold at the same time, because it is unlikely that you will push and release them at exactly the same time so the program may for 1 scan get a start signal when you are not intending it to. A couple of alternate solutions:

1. Add another button for reset, this has the least amount of confusion
    2. Make the hold button do a reset if held for more than 1 second, this is a safer alternative but my confuse a new operator

• Thank you for the quick response. The reason that I thought I might be able to use the Hold and Start together is the Hold is a latching type button and the Start is a momentary button. Also I'm running out of wires.

• Well since the hold is a maintained button then it would be fine to do as you originally wanted.

I would do the logic like:

UOP start = start and hold
    UOP reset = start and not hold
    UOP hold = hold

*hold signal is on when ok to run

Advertising from our partners