Collision Guard Specifications

• Hello,

I have a LRMate 200iD with a R30iB controller, that has the collision guard pack installed. My boss wants to know the specifications of the collision guard pack (i.e. at what torque sets it of) i have looked in the documentation from Fanuc but i am not able to find anything relevant.

Can anybody provide me with something (documentation, specs sheet, etc) that i can show my boss?

Thanks in advance.

• It is adjustable by a % of sensitivity. I have never seen a torque spec, but I'm sure it varies by the model of robot you have.

Also, keep in mind this is not a safety function. It is only there to prevent machine damage, but if you have a hard crash, something is still likely to be damaged.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

• Hi,

Thank you for your advice.

I should clarify, the issue is not that i don't know how collision detection works/how to use it, it's that my boss would like a data/spec/etc. sheet with the specs about it.

• Hello,

I have a LRMate 200iD with a R30iB controller, that has the collision guard pack installed. My boss wants to know the specifications of the collision guard pack (i.e. at what torque sets it of) i have looked in the documentation from Fanuc but i am not able to find anything relevant.

Can anybody provide me with something (documentation, specs sheet, etc) that i can show my boss?

There's not a 'spec sheet' like your boss is probably wanting. Torque at the motors, or force at some point of the EE are all robot and system-dependent. Your robot likely has only a 7Kg payload max capability, depending on options (could be down at 5Kg), but may only be carrying 1Kg or less in your actual application. At 7Kg payload, (and whatever inertia parameters your EE has), which you should be setting for this robot at that mass, your robot will move considerably slower than it would at minimal payload.

I'm pretty sure that Fanuc changes the servo tuning based on your payload and inertia settings, and the motion processor uses significantly different accelerations and top speeds as the payload and moment-arms increase. So, I would expect that Collision Guard base-'sensitivity' changes as well between a light load and a heavy payload. The manual DOES say that sensitivity is automatically altered internally when jogging to be more sensitive during jogging. They provide a way to link the collision guard sensitivity to a register so that your program can adjust it on the fly with a special TP command when running in auto. Be aware that when running the program in manual, the jog-mode higher sensitivity may be overriding your programmed settings.

Also, there is no one 'torque limit,' either. You're dealing with a six axis robot that may be wall or overhead-mounted. One or more axes may be compensating for gravity to keep the payload in position, and a given collision isn't just a matter of exceeding a torque limit. FYI, The manual does say that at the moment of collision, the robot is permitted to rebound or 'relax' away from the collision, and warns that this necessarily also includes a motion relative to gravity, too (falling), for 200 milliseconds.

So, I assume it works off joint position error? Maybe something more sophisticated, but definitely not a simplistic joint-torque limit.

AFAIK, if you need to know precisely what force is involved at a certain point on your EE at a likely collision point, you would have to determine this experimentally once you have your EE mounted with the payload present, and the payload/inertia settings adjusted to match, and a Collision Guard Sensitivity that is not set too-high to self-trigger (default is usually fine for basic use).

Because of the dependency on the application specifics, which can change drastically between when your EE is empty and when it is full, they provide the sensitivity setting you can change in the program to get maximum responsiveness between having an empty end-effector and a full one. I was using CG with a heavy end-effector and a ~300lb load.

- Jay

Advertising from our partners