ABB S4 Create a User Frame

• Hey guys, I'm a Fanuc tech looking for help with an ABB. On Fanuc's we call them userframes, and here it looks like that's called an Object frame?? On Fanuc its a three point method but on this ABB it looks like a 4 point method??

The application isn't that difficult, its a fiber laser cutting through a flat peice of plastic on a horizontal fixture. However the original engineer did not program a TCP or a user frame. Ive been asked to help and I believe I can however I want to be sure I am understanding the terminology. Does anyone have any manuals or documentation for these old S4's? Or can step me through the TCP and Userframe configuration methods?

Any help would be the perfect christmas gift this year :zwink:

Thanks,
    Andy

• hey Andrew,

Just in addition to the manual of things that are a bit different when compared to FANUC

- the work object has two frames, the object frame, and the user frame. Because I first learned on FANUC, I just use the 'user frame' whenever I can and I keep the object frame undefined. The object frame would be a frame shifted from the user frame.. a frame on a frame if you will; the object frame helps if you have a frame on a table and then another frame on a fixture or multiple fixtures.

- the 4 points are X1, X2, y1 and Y2 ... you're basically setting the four points on two lines. it's a little odd feeling when you're used to setting an Origin, then X1, Y1
    - The workobject is only active if it's called out in the move. you can name the work objects whatever you want. wobj0 is the robot base, or generally set to the same as your 'world' (not always).

MoveAbsJ start, v2000, z40, grip3; <- no work object

ie: MoveL start, v2000, z40, grip3 \WObj:= wobj1; <-work object

- You can have multiple work objects in a program and the definitions are all usually at the top of a program if you look at it in a text file (also ABB lets you save and load .PRG files easily from and to the controller and view them in text.). You can download Robotstudio and use the text editor for free. (it will highlight and check syntax)

- work objects that you want stored across programs (ie: the same frame in all programs, and if you update it, it will be referenced by all programs) should be stored in a system file

Taylor Guitars - Robotics Engineer
    - IRC5 IRB4400
    - IRC5 IRB2400
    - S4C+ IRB4600
    - S4 IRB2400
    - Epson G3-351 RC180

• Fluke thank you for the manual! That's exactly what i need.

Tyler,

Thank you so much for the clarification. So the four points are going to be two lines (y1) *----------------------* (y2)
    * equals point.
    (x1) *-----------------------* (x2) as follows?

I guess that makes sense, instead of using origin.

So i don't believe a TCP is necessary since the laser head is always going to stay at the same Z height. I think I would be fine with just an object frame. TCP is important when making round motions around an object. But this surface is flat and only requires x and y motion. Thoughts?

• I must be mis-remembering...

I remember only 3 points to set up a frame:
    X1 (origin),
    X2 (+X direction)
    Y1 (+Y from X1 (origin).
    | (X2)
    |
    |
    |
    *------- * (X1)
    (y1)
    It's convenient to have a TCP taught - even if it's only a Z-offset from faceplate.

• Iowan you are absolutely right, it is me that is misremembering - I got thinking there was a different work object definition on the S4 controllers that used 4 points, and I swear I had a memory of doing this ... maybe Andy can enlighten us.

Iowan is totally right, the X1 is the origin and it is a similar user frame as fanuc.

I also suggest teaching a TCP regardless - as if you ever have to take your tool off, you can then update your tcp - also your speed/feedrate is calculated at your TCP - so if you are moving around a corner, even if it is flat X/Y your robot wrist might be making a large motion, therefore your speed might not be consistent at the point you are cutting at

Taylor Guitars - Robotics Engineer
    - IRC5 IRB4400
    - IRC5 IRB2400
    - S4C+ IRB4600
    - S4 IRB2400
    - Epson G3-351 RC180

• Looking through the manual it looks like you guys are right. To set up the userframe and the workobject it uses a 3 point method. same points for both userframe and work object. It then looks like you can use a 4 point method to make a frame inside of a frame. Something I don't intend on using.

I will however create the TCP.

Thanks for your all your input, greatly appreciated.

Happy Holidays!

Advertising from our partners