ARC-046 Weld EQ Communication Error. Arc won't start but wire feeds

• When I enable weld on my robot and try and run a program to weld I get an ARC-046 Weld EQ Communication Error. Right before the error I hear the gas solenoid purge as expected. I can feed wire in and out by holding shift on the TP and wire+/wire-. This robot used to be doing fusion tig welding and came with that setup and the mig setup. I removed the tig hardware and installed the mig. I changed the weld process to GMAW Steel in the TP for the mig wire feeder.

Here is what I have:
    I have a FANUC Arc Mate 100iB 6S with RJ3iB controller. I'm using a Lincoln Power Wave 455M with ArcLink connection cable with a Lincoln Mig wire feed. Communication with the robot controller is done via ArcLink. The robot is hooked up to an Allen Bradley Microligix PLC. The plc has a panel view that is used to call up programs etc. I'm running the robot in manual on T2 to test weld.I'm running steel wire with 75/25 argon/CO2 mix. 0.035 diameter wire.

Here is what I have tried:
    -I read a thread that suggested their could be a blown fuse on the process I/o board. Even though I was able to feed wire in and out I still checked and sure enough, that fuse was blown. I replaced the fuse but no change with my issue. I do notice the status led's on that process I/o board do not light up. The arkLink is plugged into the card next to that card. Its is a devicenet type card where the arklink cable is plugged into.
    -I did a controlled start and verified that Lincoln Electric is in the manufacturer spot and the model is PowerWave+ArcLnk.
    -In the TP, I verified that ArcLink Online. Observation: Next to ArcLink status it states "BUS AVAIL".
    -In i/o - Weld, inputs and output are assigned to the various functions (i'll post a pic if it's not too big) but I noticed the input for Arc Enable is not assigned. it reads [Arc Enable][****]* ***. I tried changing it in config to "DI" and cycling power but it changed back to ****. in the output page Weld start is DO25.
    -I read another thread that said change the $Vendor_ID value to 108 so I tried that. no change and the robot automatically changes it back to zero.
    as info: the system variable $AWEPRR[1].$WELD_START $PORT_NUM is set to 25 and $PORT_TYPE is set to 2.

Please help! I'm so far behind getting this set up.

• Here are a few pictures of settings.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

• can anyone tell me what my Arc Enable and Wire stick alarm settings should be? please be specific and state if it is a digital or welding I/o. I still haven't gotten his robot to strike an arc. Thanks

• Go to config on your welding i/o. What rack is assigned to? Should be rack 90 which would be your arc link. Your Arc enable i/o is usually config to a PLC digital i/o

• Go to config on your welding i/o. What rack is assigned to? Should be rack 90 which would be your arc link. Your Arc enable i/o is usually config to a PLC digital i/o

Sean.ad, I will verify this afternoon.

• is your issue resolved?
    if not have you tried changing the powerwave 455 out. that's the first step I would take if my grounds were good and the hot lead to robot was good and like you said could feed wire. it souldnt be your arc enabled di because if its not set up then its defaulted to be on constantly so that shouldn't be an issue.
    the power wave 455 it becoming a old unit and its more than likely wore out replace it with another 455 unit.
    I also hightly doubt its your arc link cable its self unless it was smashed and damaged that's the grey wire going from the cabinet to the welder. try replacing it also if
    replacing the welder doesn't fix it.

• Bahracing, the problem is not resolved. I don't have another power wave to swap it out with and that would be an expensive trial to buy one. It was working when I bought it. It was doing fusion tig welding. I think I've just got a setting off or something but I don't know where to look.

• Is this Arclink over devicenet with R-J3iB? (going from memory). I had an issue where the arclink card supplied by the robot's internal 24VDC supply was causing issues like you suggest. I added an external 24VDC PS just for the arclink communication and problem solved. Try that.
    I also seem to recall something significant about DIP switch#4 on the arclink card having to be ON to differentiate between devicenet and arclink.
    Hope this helps

• Is this Arclink over devicenet with R-J3iB? (going from memory). I had an issue where the arclink card supplied by the robot's internal 24VDC supply was causing issues like you suggest. I added an external 24VDC PS just for the arclink communication and problem solved. Try that.
    I also seem to recall something significant about DIP switch#4 on the arclink card having to be ON to differentiate between devicenet and arclink.
    Hope this helps

Cunaf, there is a separate power supply already for the arclink. The people that had it before me were communicating via arclink as well but were doing fusion tig welding. I shouldnt have to adjust any dip switches right? Since they were already communicating that way?

• No shouldn't have to adjust any dip switches if already communicating. Pretty sure DIP 4 assigns to rack90 -arclink. Just make sure the 24VDC is smooth and not getting dragged down.

To make extra sure, I bought a new power supply and installed it. I still get the same arc-046 error. After all of the things I have tried, now the wire feed doesn't work properly. When I press feed wire in the teach pendant or in power wave manager. It just barely puts any out. I checked and it is set to 30 ipm for cold feeding. I released tension on the feed wheels and they won't spin so I know there is not a bind. When I press the feed button, it feeds like 1mm out and that's it.

• Usually when the arclink is working you will have 2 green led lights if it's not right there will be a red led on the health. I'm sure you have but have you set up your weld process 1? Where you define the wire size and process of weld and gas should get a number I attached a pic? Also make sure that your weld schedule 1 has process 1 on it in the data tab under weld schedule. Like I said maybe you have done this but it is one thing to think about since you do have communication.

• Usually when the arclink is working you will have 2 green led lights if it's not right there will be a red led on the health. I'm sure you have but have you set up your weld process 1? Where you define the wire size and process of weld and gas should get a number I attached a pic? Also make sure that your weld schedule 1 has process 1 on it in the data tab under weld schedule. Like I said maybe you have done this but it is one thing to think about since you do have communication.

Joshrice1, thank you for the reply. I don't remember about the LEDs but will check in the AM. I remember at least one green light. I have the welding process selected as it should be. My wire stopped feeding correctly after I updated the firmware on my welder I think. I've never been able to strike an arc with the big gun. I have to be missing a setting somewhere related to changing from tig to mig. I also can't figure out how to bypass a water flow sensor fault on the welder. I'd feel better about things if I could weed that out.

• Joshrice1, thank you for the reply. I don't remember about the LEDs but will check in the AM. I remember at least one green light. I have the welding process selected as it should be. My wire stopped feeding correctly after I updated the firmware on my welder I think. I've never been able to strike an arc with the big gun. I have to be missing a setting somewhere related to changing from tig to mig. I also can't figure out how to bypass a water flow sensor fault on the welder. I'd feel better about things if I could weed that out.

The LED's are all green (3 of them) on the divicenet card where the arclink plugs into. I notice none of the LEDs are lit on the next card over for the io process board but I know the fuse on it is not blown cause it had a red led on it that went away after I changed the blown fuse. I got the info from the Lincoln tech support team about why I had faults on the wire drive and how to fix those. I was getting a water flow sensor fault and a shutdown bit 1 fault. I was able to jumper terminal 9, 10 and 11 all together on the io plug on the front of the welder power source to fix that. See attached pictures and diagram. http://cloud.tapatalk.com/s/5a2f3d81bd297/455%20pinout.pdf

• The LED's are all green (3 of them) on the divicenet card where the arclink plugs into. I notice none of the LEDs are lit on the next card over for the io process board but I know the fuse on it is not blown cause it had a red led on it that went away after I changed the blown fuse. I got the info from the Lincoln tech support team about why I had faults on the wire drive and how to fix those. I was getting a water flow sensor fault and a shutdown bit 1 fault. I was able to jumper terminal 9, 10 and 11 all together on the io plug on the front of the welder power source to fix that. See attached pictures and diagram. http://cloud.tapatalk.com/s/5a2f3d81bd297/455%20pinout.pdf

I should clarify, I still have the arc-046 alarm on my robot. I'm going to try and get my hands on a new arclink cable to try that.

Advertising from our partners