Mastering Problems with Fanuc S-420R

• What I have - Karel Software Version: 2.22P-RevA, Enhanced, Hardware Model: S-420R, Control Station - Fanuc System R-model A05B-2052-B001 1988-09

Problem - We are a small company trying to get an old Fanuc Robot setup to drill some holes. This is all new to me, I'm learning as I go. I seem to have the controller up with the Karel console up and running. The pendent works just fine and I'm able to jog the robot to the zero calibration positions for mastering. I go through the following steps while mastering: from the KCL> prompt I run UTIL and enter the UTIL> prompt, I then enter SINIT and follow the prompts to enter system standard values, I then enter SSAVE SYS_STANDARD, then I power down and up the controller, I then use the pendant to position the robot to it's zero positions, then I go back into the UTIL> and enter MASTER. This is where the my problem starts. It responds back with "Are you sure?" I respond with Y. I then only get a response of "UOP has motion control", I do not get the "Mastering at 0-degrees Y/N?" which is what I should get back according to the "Fanuc S-420 Robot Maintenance and Troubleshooting Reference Manual".

Can someone please help me!

Thanks in advance

• First, thanks for the prompt reply. I greatly appreciate any help I can get.

The label on the controller reads: Fanuc System R-Model H

And to answer your question "Why not master via the teachpendant?": I have not yet read anything in the old manuals I was able to purchase that states if or how that can be done. Also the teachpendant does not have any alpha keys.

Thanks again for taking the time to help me. I need all the help I can get to get over this hurdle I hit.

Take care

• First, thanks again for taking the time to help me. This forum is great!

The following is the results of what you recommended for me to do in your suggested link (My comments are in Blue), also added pics for reference:

CALIBRATION

1) safety first - no personnel in working envelope of robot
    2) power up controller and clear all faults
    3) jog the robot near to its reference position
    4) switch off the teach pendant
    5) turn off REMOTE key switch on operators panel
    6) press CALIBRATE button on operators panel
    When I press the "CALIBRATE" button the "CYCLE START" light flashes on, I hear a relay click on the controller and the robot, then after a few seconds later I hear another click form both the controller and robot like it went through some type of cycle, but the "NOT CALIBRATED" still does not go off.
    7) the IN CYCLE light come on and lights until calibration is done. When it is done successfully it will go out as same as the NOT CALIBRATED light does.

MASTERING

AFAIK mechanical unit has zero marks on each axis. So either you need to jog the robot to these positions or you do have a mastering fixture with which the robot is zeroed to and tell the controller that mechanical unit is at zero position as follows.

1) power up the controller
    2) turn on REMOTE key switch on operators panel
    3) using teach pendant jog the robot to mastering position (marks or fixture)
    4) call up KCL> using CRT/KB terminal (installed od remote)What is an "od" remote?
    5) type "UTIL" + ENTER
    6) type "MASTER" + ENTER
    7) type "Y" as response to "Are you sure?" question
    When I press "Y" in response to "Are you sure?" all I get back is "UOP has motion control", I never get to step 8. (Refer to attached pic)
    :smiling_face_with_sunglasses: type "Y" if you are mastering to zero marks or type "N" if you are mastering using mastering fixture as response to "Mastering at 0 degrees Y/N?" question
    9) press ENTER twice
    10) Power down and up the controller and you are done

I've also tried the REMOTE key switch in the "Off" position and I get the same results but with a response of "SOP has motion control"

The error in the upper left hand corner of the screen "3038 Mastering no done" has also never gone away (Refer to attached pic).

I've also added pics of my controller and robot now that I've found I can add pics.

Thanks again and please keep the replies coming. I need all the help I can get.

• Again, thanks for all the help.

I've made some progress that I thought I should share with the form.

AS you can see from my previous posts, every time I attempt to master I receive a message stating that "UOP has motion control" or "SOP has motion control" depending on the position of the REMOTE key. This was preventing me form completing the mastering process.

Well, I finally received my "Karel Reference Manual Version 2.0P" yesterday I purchased used. Within the manual I've read about the "REMOTE_MASTER" built-in function. This function has an integer value that controls what device has assigned motion control. The manual states that when the REMOTE key switch on the operator panel is off a zero is returned and no remote device has motion control. But, by using the set parameter command you can change this value to one of the following integer values: 1 = UOP (user operator panel), 2 = CRT/KB (cathode ray tube/keyboard), 3 = NCP (network), 4 = NOOP (no operator device).

I then changed the parameter value to a 2 so that the CRT/KB would have motion control. After making that change I went through the mastering process again. This time it completed the process without returning the now annoying message of UDP or SOP has motion control. The error at the upper left hand corner of the screen saying "3038 Mastering no done" also went away. It looks like I have finally completed that mastering process. The robot now seems to respond better and seems to have full range of motion. Lets see if I can now program it to do what I need for it to do. Now the real fun starts!

Thanks again to the forum for all it's help and continued help.

Advertising from our partners