Frame Data Corruption [IIWA]

• Hello everyone,

We are running Sunrise 1.9.1.7 with our IIWA. Lately, I've noticed that there have been issues with robot synchronization, specifically with the frame data. On synchronization, my Application Data and Template Data are spuriously deleted (this data is stored in RoboticsAPI.data.xml). If anyone has any idea why this is happening, or has experienced this problem before, please advise!

College student currently in undergraduate program in Biomedical Engineering and Computer Science working internship with a KUKA LBR iiwa R800 7kg Robot.  I'm still learning the basics, but I hope to master the techniques necessary to operate and understand this robot during my time in University!

• Hi Alex, long time no post :smiling_face:

This happened to me also a couple of times, when I used the data stored in the "RoboticsAPI.data.xml" excessively, like many read/write in loops. After many hours or days of program running-time, it just gets corrupt and I lose the data. You need to just re-push your program from your sunrise project back to the controller and you get your data again. Unless, you need the latest values that the robot modified, think about using a json or xml file on the robot's hard drive. I like using Apache's JSON or Commons IO libraries, they're easy and efficient.

Good luck

• Hi kiiwa, thanks for the response! :icon_mrgreen:

I think our problem is a little different than this. I currently don't run any applications that directly write to XML files. I do have some frames that are referenced occasionally some applications, but I doubt these are causing the corruption since I can have the corruption happen without running any applications. It seems that the file corruption occurs specifically at a robot synchronization, before the data is actually transferred to or from the robot. When I synchronize the robot after a frame has been updated either on the computer or on the SmartPAD, a message will appear in the Application data and Template data tabs that reads "Datasource not found", then regardless of which direction I synchronize, the frame data and tool data will be deleted. I've started backing up my frame data, but it is very difficult to reliably code with this issue continuously cropping up. We are having a KUKA engineer come to check out this problem soon, but I was just wondering if anyone saw this specific bug in their testing.

Thanks!
    -Alex

College student currently in undergraduate program in Biomedical Engineering and Computer Science working internship with a KUKA LBR iiwa R800 7kg Robot.  I'm still learning the basics, but I hope to master the techniques necessary to operate and understand this robot during my time in University!

• I have also experienced a corrupted RoboticsAPI.data.xml. For me this happened when powercycling, turning the power back on to the controller before it had finished switching off. This was likely in an older Sunrise OS, I haven't had it happen in 1.11, although now I always wait for it to fully switch off.

• We will be upgrading to 1.13 this winter and getting our system checked out by KUKA! I'll let everyone know if we determine the cause of the problem.

Thanks!

• Found the source of the problem. There is a bug on my University's specific version of Windows 10 (Education License Update KB4022727) where File Explorer is unstable and can unexpectedly revert to old versions of files or delete existing files. This led to the conflicts seen in my project, and downgrading to a Windows 7 computer seemed to solve these problems (we also upgraded to Sunrise 1.14 which could have also helped in solving these problems). Thanks for the insights though, I'm sure they could help someone else with a different problem.

-Alex

Advertising from our partners