The necessity of MEMD tool: Is it possible to master the robot by hand?

• I plan to buy Kuka robot for the first time. When I get the quote, MEMD is listed as an option and I'm wondering I need to buy this or not. It looks the special tool. Can I do the mastering process without having this (for ABB robot, I usually do by hand like this:

External Content www.youtube.com
    Content embedded from external sources will not be displayed without your consent.
    Through the activation of external content, you agree that personal data may be transferred to third party platforms. We have provided more information on this in our privacy policy.
    )? If so, what is the benefit to have this?

Kuka's representative says "You can master a robot without an MEMD but your robot movements with not be as accurate afterward." Does this mean there is a quality’s difference between hand mastering and MEMD? In my application, I don’t need sub-millimeter accuracy. I can do hand mastering per a year / a half year, but if I need to do more, I may need to consider MEMD.

• Kuka made variety of mastering tools over time. mastering process simply sets axis position relative to mechanical zero (datum/origin/reference). accuracy of mastering (calibration) will have impact on several things such as correct calculation of positions, tcp, soft limits etc.

the simplest (and crudest) method is to align "caliper marks" and master axis using "dial" method. note that those are fine marks, usually engraved as a fine line. Using this method is low accuracy, you will never get same results twice. this also means one must reteach all points in programs.

using dial gauge (depth gauge) and some skill, one can get far better results.

most marks on Kuka robots are NOT those fine precision lines but very coarse slots, often painted white (or red if arm is white etc.).
    these coarse slots are pre-mastering position which used as a starting point when mastering with an electronic mastering tool.

electronic tools come in different flavors and offer more advantages:
    EMT - for KRC1 and KRC2[size=2] (this tool is not modular, electronics is in the sensor)[/size]
    EMD - for KRC4 (this tool is not modular, electronics is in the sensor)
    MEMD - for KRC4 with Agilus arms (MEMD= Micro EMD; for micro cartridge)
    SEMD - for KRC4 with all other arms (not Agilus), (SEMD = Standard EMD; for standard cartridge)
    Universal mastering tool (MEMD/SEMD) for all KRC4 robots

There is also an optional cable set (addition) for universal mastering tool or SEMD. With those cables one can also master KRC1 and KRC2.

Electronic mastering tools are WAY faster and easier to use, also it eliminates errors due paralax or variations caused by humans. they also can be used to take an advantage of (optional) corrections for different loads, checking differences (for example after collision) etc.

collaborative robots (IIWA) have mastering tool built into robot arm.

1) read pinned topic: READ FIRST...

2) if you have an issue with robot, post question in the correct forum section... do NOT contact me directly

3) read 1 and 2

Edited once, last by panic mode ().

Advertising from our partners