Can't get WorkVisual to detect controler

• Hello,

I am trying to connect WorkVisual to KRC4 compact controller (with KR8 for a robot). I connected one end of the cat cable to x66 port on the controller and the other one to laptop ethernet. Set the subnet mask and IP as per directions on this forum (with cold boot and restore files), got it to answer to ping. Witch would be great, but now WorkVisual cannot find the controller even by the IP of the controller (from the magnifying glass popup).

InfO:
    WorkVisual 4.0
    KRC4
    KS V8.3.244

Mask for both controller and laptop: 255.255.0.0
    Controller IP: 169.254.142.185
    Laptop IP: 169.254.142.186

Tried restarting WorkVisual, laptop. Anyone has any idea what could be wrong? Gonna go restart myself for the night, maybe that will help.

• Hm... he stated that it pings OK, so it would seem the network is not at fault. Still...

Is there anything else on that physical network? Is anything else networked to the robot's KLI? It might be worth running a straight Cat5 cable directly from your laptop to the KLI port in the robot's motherboard (unplug the stock cable that feeds the rest of the robot) just to ensure there's no IP overlap or anything.

Another cold boot of the robot might help -- sometimes the KRC4s can just get tetchy.

What does the robot's network configuration look like? Have you set any of the Virtual Networks? How about port or protocol filters? Does this robot have any TPs installed that make use of the KLI?

• [size=1em]you need to be able to ping before you open Browse dialog. (may have to reopen it or restart WoV). and if that does not help ([/size][size=small]you do have KSS8.3) [/size][size=small]change your laptop to get IP address automatically then connect it directly to KSI port and try search again.[/size]

1) read pinned topic: READ FIRST...

2) if you have an issue with robot, post question in the correct forum section... do NOT contact me directly

3) read 1 and 2

• Finally got it to work with "bugger them till they love you" approach.

Could not find any markings of the direct KLI port on the board, so tried all of them. Got one to work, traced the wiring to X69 (KSI port I think).
    This got to the point where VisualWorks could find the controller and see projects on it. However, ddownloading them did not work (could not find part of the path) until I created folder "C:\Users\User\Documents\WorkVisual Projects\Downloaded Projects".
    It could be that rebooting the operator (me) might have helped.

There was nothing in between the laptop and the controller and nothing else on the network (someone asked).

Thank you for the advice and support.

This is not necessary, but just to sate my curiosity, the direct KLI port on the motherboard, does it look like all other ethernet(rj45) connections?
    I would post a picture of the board itself for reference, but not sure if forum guidelines allow that.

• KLI port is RJ45 port on the motherboard. X65 is just connected there. In case of KRC4 compact this is outside behind dark gray metal cover....

1) read pinned topic: READ FIRST...

2) if you have an issue with robot, post question in the correct forum section... do NOT contact me directly

3) read 1 and 2

Advertising from our partners