What is best method to improve knowledge and skills?

• Hello All,

What would you experienced ABB guys say is the best method to increasing skill level and knowledge on ABB robotics? For example literature, practical course or just plain old messing around?

I am fairly new to the ABB robotics and am struggling to get my head round the process of whats required. I have been using Yaskawa robots for a couple years and am by no means experienced is the field of robotic programming. Like all of us i want to get better and reach my potential as a programmer but am really struggling to find a way that works. Baring in mind i am trying to learn while production is running which doesn't allow for much time to play with the robots.

Things like installing a new line from scratch, work flow process and what basic safety elements required and any other info.

Been waffling on a bit here, but its p*ssing me off if i'm honest.

Thanks for listening and any information would be appreciated.

Cheers

• A practical course is good for basics, but hands-on is how I learn best (including "don't ever do that again"). You can study existing programs - better if there's someone to explain some of the trickier techniques. I haven't had the opportunity to "start from scratch", so I'm missing a lot of valuable insight - especially w/ the newer machines.

• Since we are system integrators, we always start from scratch. The best learning for me takes place by writing simple test programs that explore a particular feature or set of options. There is no way I could learn this stuff from a book (pdf).

Building robotic welding systems.

• Convince management to buy a training robot that is just like the ones you have. You can then explore ideas & methods without interfering with production. You can also try to sell the idea that it can be a great time & money saver if you also use it to verify good & defective parts.

• Convince management to buy a training robot that is just like the ones you have. You can then explore ideas & methods without interfering with production. You can also try to sell the idea that it can be a great time & money saver if you also use it to verify good & defective parts.

We did, although the line runs with Irb6600's and we have a little Irb120 as a training robot so it can't be cannibalised for spares.

• I took a computer programming course at a local community college called INTRO TO COMPUTER PROGRAMMING LOGIC AND DESIGN. It help me a lot in the robot programming area. Some electronics along with plc, pneumatics and hydraulics classes will help also. I highly recommend all of them.

• I took a computer programming course at a local community college called INTRO TO COMPUTER PROGRAMMING LOGIC AND DESIGN. It help me a lot in the robot programming area. Some electronics along with plc, pneumatics and hydraulics classes will help also. I highly recommend all of them.

Great idea. Would definitely add the basic electricity & electronics to help understand how & why elctrical parts work (or don't work).

Advertising from our partners