Disable Deadman Switch or Motors

• I've got an application where two robots are in one cell. The customer has requested that if the cell is in teach mode (selected with a safety key) then only one robot can be manipulated at a time.

The idea is that we can drop the fence so the robot can be manually moved by holding the deadman switch, but is there a simple way to disable the other robot if one already has it's motors on (and vice versa).

Thanks!

• Both robots should go to "motors off" state when you access the cell. Fit a couple of "programmers" keyswitches (one for each robot) inside the cell, should be dual channel wired through safety relay/safety PLC etc. to allow the relevant robot to be enabled. The keys may be issued to an authorised/trained person or part of an interlocked key exchange system fitted to the access gate. You could be clever and fit a 3 position keyswitch (Robot 1 - off - Robot 2) assuming you would never need to run both robots at the same from inside the cell.

• RoboWeld,

Thanks for the information, I was thinking something along those lines also since posting.

Would you recommend using the external enable (EN1_1 and EN2_1) or maybe the superior stop (SS1 and SS2)?

I would still like to monitor the robot motors on though, that way a single switch would be sufficient and then as long as the other robot motors are not on, both would be enabled until one of the motors goes on.

Thanks!

Advertising from our partners