External axis configuration

• Hello all,

I have some knowledge of kuka robots from my previous job as a maintenance operator.
    It's pretty much the basic stuff, on my new job I have to stand in for colleague who is our kuka guy.
    He gave me some training about that topic and went to other job site.
    Basically my question is, do someone have experience with implementing external linear axis.
    From his training i learned how to enable axis in mada file and how to setup parameters for axis and kinematics on teachpad.
    It doesn't seem that hard but I'm far from expert so every help would be good.
    The rest of programming is on the other company we as a supplier of external axis should just implement it.
    I read manuals about that topic that I found on forum but some on hand experience is always better for learning.
    Also axis have kuka motor on it but it's not visible so parameters are inserted in default motor file, that part is not so clear to me also.

Sorry for the long post please :help: and thank you all

• Did you read the READ FIRST topic?
    Controller version?
    KSS version?
    Kinematic integration or not?
    KUKA-made linear axis, or 3rd-party axis with a KUKA motor on it?
    Did the robot come with this external axis, or is your company integrating it?

• Sorry, for the bad info. Here is what I know:
    -Vkrc4 8.2.29
    -KR420 R3330
    With kinematic integration. 3rd party axis with KUKA motor, but it can't be seen from controller because it's 8.2 version. So i have to input motor data somehow.
    On site we have everything already installed mechanically, my job is to integrate it and let the guys program it for customer.

I hope this gives you more info.

• I honestly don't understand what you mean by "can't see the motor from the controller." That makes no sense. Either it's connected, or it's not. KSS version has nothing to do with it.

Start with this: https://www.robot-forum.com/ro…manual/msg84203/#msg84203

I've never done external kinematics on a VKRC, so there may be some Volkswagen-specific elements, at least at the menu/password level, that you will need to figure out.

You will need to locate the data plate for the motor first, and use that to find the matching motor DTM catalog element to import it. Then you will need to calibrate $RAT_MOT_AX for the axis. After that, you will need to work out the kinematic relationship, as shown in the manual. When performed properly, you should be able to jog the E1 axis while the robot holds the TCP at a fixed point in space, "perfectly" counteracting each motion of the E1 axis.

• I think he is referring to Drives Configuration in WorkVisual. External axis setup on 8.2 software was a bit more involved... (load correct WaggonDriver). Then WorkVisual got improved. Have not tried new WorkVisual on KSS8.2...

1) read pinned topic: READ FIRST...

2) if you have an issue with robot, post question in the correct forum section... do NOT contact me directly

3) read 1 and 2

• Thank you for your help guys, I read this manual but i will put more attention on what SkyeFire wrote.
    I should have some new info about this project in few days, sorry if information are little confusing.

Advertising from our partners