Creating new frames on the KUKA smartPAD

• About two days ago I started working on a KUKA LBR iiwa 14 R820, and am trying to figure out how to actually set frames on the smartPAD. I've been scouring the Sunrise.OS/Sunrise Workbench technical manual, and haven't had much luck. I know there's a section in the workbench about manually teaching frames through jogging, but it only talks about editing frames that are already in the Frames panel. Whenever I go to this panel, I have no frames to edit.

How do I go about creating these frames that I can manually edit through the smartPAD? I assume at this point that it's something I have to explicitly define inside of the Sunrise Workbench, but am unsure in general how to go about doing this.

Thanks for reading.

• AD
  • Never mind, I figured it out.
    If you are having the same issue, go to the Application Data tab in Sunrise Workbench, right click on world frame, select insert new frame, and then synchronize the project with the controller.

• Even if you can create new frames with the smart pad, what's the point if you can't make the programs use them without modifying the code using workbench?

You can make PTP or LIN movements between frames directly on the smartPAD without writing code.

Additionally, other people are using this robot arm that don't know anything about Java or programming. It would be more straightforward and convenient for them to simply add them on the controller and then sync it with sunrise instead of teaching them how to do it through the software. That way, they are able to create frames and move between them without writing any code.

• Adding frames on the SmartPad is a feature which arrived with Sunrise Workbench 1.11.
    The current Version is 1.13 and 1.12 was officially skipped afaik. And in about two month 1.14 will be published. KUKA usually published a new version three times a year.

Edited once, last by razzo ().

• Even if you can create new frames with the smart pad, what's the point if you can't make the programs use them without modifying the code using workbench?

You can use them on workbench.
    Once you creat the new frames using the smartPad, Synchronize back the project from Controller --> Sunrise (But, be sure to not change your code meanwhile, as the programs will be overwritten by their version that's already on the controller). After that, the frames will appear on workbench and you can use them in any program.