battery

• I'm having trouble finding any documentation on this battery. Is the procedure for changing it the same for this one in the controller as it is for the ones on the robot? Whats a good place to buy a fresh one?

Do robots dream?

Edited once, last by popbot ().

• Try searching for the Fanuc part #, 'A98L-0031-0012'.
    If you prefer one from Fanuc, their CNC division (Fanuc America for me) is usually cheaper than the robotics division for parts common to both.

• Is the procedure for changing it the same for this one in the controller as it is for the ones on the robot? Whats a good place to buy a fresh one?

Well, generally yes - you power up the controller and then replace the battery.
    The manuals say, that on the R-30iB it is OK to replace the battery up to 30 minutes after switching off, but I wouldn't trust it :icon_rolleyes:

• Well, generally yes - you power up the controller and then replace the battery.
    The manuals say, that on the R-30iB it is OK to replace the battery up to 30 minutes after switching off, but I wouldn't trust it :icon_rolleyes:

THE MANUAL IS WRONG!! SRAM IS BATTERY BACKED UP! THAT'S WHERE ALL OF YOUR PROGRAMMING IS STORED! PULL THE BATTERY WITH POWER OFF AND YOU RISK LOSING SOME OR ALL OF IT! I HAVE SEEN IT HAPPEN!

• Take it easy. I have seen it too, and that is why I said that I wouldn't trust the manual, which says:

Never researched this subject deeper, there probably is some capacitor-based SRAM backup (???)

EDIT:

...which I of course DO NOT trust - just wanted to point it out again...

Edited once, last by bidzej ().

• Since I can't take chances with customer's equipment, I ALWAYS change batteries with power on, never pull a CPU board without having a battery attached, always replace any batteries that measure less than their full rated voltage, and always bring extra batteries in case one is dropped/damaged.

Dating is important. I required our battery vendor to put "Installed Date" stickers on all the custom batteries we buy from them so there is a consistant place to date them. If there is no other place to put a date for new 'C' & 'D' cells batteries installed for robots, I'll write the date on the visible end of one of the batteries with a fine marker.

Advertising from our partners