iiwa (flange pneumatic) - connecting and configuring gripper (EtherCAT and WoV)

• Hi,

We are considering installing an electric gripper on a LBR iiwa (flange pneumatic). The gripper has two inputs (open/close) and two outputs/sensors (gripper opened/closed).

Here's how we plan to proceed:

X21 connection for power supply of the gripper and sensors (each 24 V).
    X2 connection to wire the four I/O signals.
    EtherCAT Coupler (EK1100) and terminals (e.g. EL1018 and EL2008) to connect the signals (X2) to the Sunrise Cabinet (via X65 EtherCAT port).
    Finally configuration in WorkVisual. Have you already created such a configuration in WorkVisual?

What do you think about it and is there anything else that needs to be considered?

Thank you!
    robotneuling

• Hi,

I have problem with Kuka iiwa and profibus-gripper. Here's my view on your setup.

My iiwa has "media flange I/O pneumatic", which does not have cables from the any socket of the flange to the robot base. (X2 socket of this flange is etherCat participant. If you have "media flange pneumatic", your X2 socket is different. According to "Robot option - Media Flange" documentaton by Kuka.

Anyway, I recommend ensuring suitability of your setup from Kuka.

• Hi Paavo,

it seems as if the wiring (4-pole) of the X2 is the same for all flanges?
    I think that installing a profibus gripper on the iiwa is much more difficult (I saw your post :icon_smile:).
    My gripper has 2x inputs and 2x outputs and I hope it's not getting too complicated.

• Good Morning,
    I have an 820 14kg with IO/Pneumatic and Ethercat:
    Ethercat works great but WoV is a bitch you'll need SR1.10/11 and WoV 4.17 (not 4.20) to get it to work..

I'm not sure about other flanges but the IO on mine is NPN not PNP... this can be really confusing if you havn't come across NPN for a while.

Also the diagram in the manual doesn't properly ascertain whether or not the pin out are looking at the front or the back of the X12/13 plugs - also confusing.

So its worth doing some trial and error but be carefull! use fused circuits until you understand whats going on. the last thing you want to do is fry your robot loom.

Best of luck.

• Thank you.

I have these versions installed:
    WorkVisual: V4.0.17_Build0070
    Sunrise Workbench: 1.11.0.7

I'll have to see if i get it running.

• Hi!!

I has been a while since I have been thinking gripper issues.
    As far as I unaderstand and remember correct X2 socket of the flange is meant for connecting etherCAT devices.

Anyway, I am curious to hear robotneuling's integration proceeds.

• Hi!!

I has been a while since I have been thinking gripper issues.
    As far as I unaderstand and remember correct X2 socket of the flange is meant for connecting etherCAT devices.

Anyway, I am curious to hear robotneuling's integration proceeds.

Hi Paavo, the gripper works fine :).

We wired the gripper by using the X2 and X21 connectors of the flange.
    We used an EtherCAT Coupler (EK1100) and terminals (EL1018 and EL2008) to address the inputs/outputs.
    Mapping (I/O configuration) was done in WorkVisual (see attached). The I/O configuration was then exported to the Sunrise project.

Advertising from our partners