Group Mask

• Hi folks, noobie here with a what I'm sure is a dumb question.

I have a fanuc arcmate with rj3-ib. Mig welding with fronius power supply. Having trouble figuring out how to store and call different group masks. My program I am writing now I can set the elevation to -45 deg in settings, weave, this works for my t fillet welds I have to do. However I need to weave flat as well, in which case I would have to set elevation to 0. It would make sense to me that you would save one group mask with one set of values, and then another with a different set of values, then call that group mask in the program before the relevant weld. When I change the values I don't see how to renumber and store that group mask with those settings. The only thing next to the function keys is type, 1, and *. Don't see how you can have group mask 3 or something.

This one has me stuck, thanks for reading and thanks for you help.

• Group mask refers to a motion group. For example your robot arm is group 1. So (1,*,*,*,*) means that this weave setting can be used on the 1st robot connected to your controller.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

Edited once, last by HawkME ().

• This is the only way I have foinf to get my weave going in the right plane. If elevation is 0 it weaves flat. If it is -45 it weaves along the hypotenuse of an equilateral triangle. Nothing I change in the weave schedule when I hit data when I am editing a program changes this. Is there someplace else I need to go?

• I have set up different weave schedules

Like I said in the last post, nothing changes the direction the torch weaves in. In the weave schedule you can change frequency, amplitude, l and r dwell. You have no way to change what plane you are weaving in

am I missing something?

• Group masks have nothing to do with your problem. They allow you to configure a program (or positions, when used inside a program) to only use particular Motion Groups (GP) - this is only useful if you actually have more than 1 group (more robots/positioners etc.)

How is your tool frame configured? It should be situated at the tip of the wire, with the Z-axis pointing up, along the wire. Then the good practice says, that the X-axis should be pointing "forward" and Y to the left of the torch.

• I followed the 5 point procedure for finding TCP. What I'm getting from your response is there is something else I need to do...or I did something wrong.

• so the program looks totally ok, there is nothing really special about the schedules I guess, so I think that the TCP definition really is the reason for your problems. Actually, what the manual says is

Warning

If you are using weaving, Thru-Arc Seam Tracking (TAST), coordinated
    motion, or TorchMate, you must define a six point tool frame by the six
    point method or the direct entry method. Failure to do so could injure
    personnel or damage equipment.

Define the tool as I said in my previous post and it should be fine. Guess theonly problem here will be that you'll have to reteach your programs... :gibbo:

• Ok, I'll give the 6pt tcp setup another whirl.

Quick question if you don't mind. The torch itself has a curved neck. Going into setup, weave, and changing the elevation to -45deg seems to work. Could this be because I am compensating for the angle of the neck when I am doing so?

• Hi
    The three point method is enough for arc welding, welding gun neck & torch are in the Y=0 plane at the center of the mounting plate
    I usually use the three point method to locate the point were the wire touches the material
    then I input directly the orientation values
    You can find the neck angle from the catalogs

The convention to define the tool orientation is as followse is the
    X+ pointing forward, in a straight welding path X is along the path pointing in the direction of advance
    facing the torch Y+ is to the right
    Z+ complements the triad, according to the right hand convention and is at the center of the welding torch
    that´s why Z+ is pointing downwards towards the material

But this setting is not a RULE, some functions like the seam tracking use z+ pointing inside the torch
    What defines wave is the WAVE frame

the group mask is ok, is 1 in the FIRST position and * in all the others
    that means that the waving only involves the FIRST group (group 1,the robot)
    Do you have other groups ??? Are you using a positioner???

Frame type: you have two options tool frame or tool&path, defines the WAVE frame
    Usually set to tool&path that means that the X is defined by the welding path, Z is tool Z, Y is normal to the XZ plane
    and following the right hand convention

Finally elevation angle, is the angle of the wave measured from the XY plane
    if set to zero SHOULD give you a FLAT wave side to side along the welding path

Add a picture of your welding gun and TCP data, XYZWPR

• For that torch usually your pitch should be positive (+45 degrees maybe)
    IF the torch and the ARM are in the same plane when J4=0,J6=0 then use W=0 in the TCP setup
    if NOT (the torch is at an angle from the ARM plane when J4=0, J6=0) then input that angle in W

To verify that your TCP is set correctly:
    Put the nozzle vertical pointing downwards
    if you rotate about Z (tool) the torch rotates about the nozzle axis
    if you move along X+ (tool) the nozzle advances forward in the torch plane

Advertising from our partners