Robotiq Gripper Configuration in WorkVisual through EtherCAT

• Hi everyone,

I am a university student doing my project with kuka iiwa R820. I have a robotiq 2-finger gripper communicating to sunrise.cabinet through EtherCAT and X65 port, but I found it is hard to configure the signals on WorkVisual. In fact, I am not even sure if WorkVisual has detected the gripper's controller. Could anyone give me any guidance or hints regarding the configuration, please? Thank you very much.

Mo
    :help: :help: :help:

• That is so helpful, thank you so much! I can learn from your file how did you map the I/Os, but I am still not very sure if I have connected them right. Is there any chance I could get any sunrise code you wrote so I could check if the connection is correct. Again, thank you very much.

• At the moment, I am trying to write simple codes to test the connections. After mapping, I have export the new I/O configuration to Workbench, and rebooted the controller. In terms of coding, I first imported the I/O class in my application, and then I declared my I/O a name using private. And I tried to code it as just I/O_group_name.setOutputByte3(100). But on the SmartPad, it is showing an error says, java.lang.NullPointerException.
    Could you please give me any clue what is going on? Thank you.

• I have questions regarding the 2-finger gripper.
    Is it a pneumatic or electric gripper?
    Which media flange (electrical, pneumatic, IO pneumatic etc.) do you use for the gripper?
    I'm asking because I will go through the same steps (connect the gripper, establish a connection, configuration in WorkVisual/Workbench) ...

Thanks for your help :icon_smile:!

• The gripper I am using is an electric one. I didn't connect it through a media flange because it is not that convenient for ours, which is an IO pneumatic one.

• Thank you qumo2016!

Did you use an I/O-Module?
    It would be nice if you could mention some details of your wiring or even attach a picture.
    I just want to get a general idea. An engineer will probably hep me with the actual work (wiring the gripper und get it connected).

:merci:

The gripper I am using is an electric one. I didn't connect it through a media flange because it is not that convenient for ours, which is an IO pneumatic one.

• I am not very sure what do you mean by I-O module. I used the Robotiq universal controller with an EtherCat port and connected it with the Sunrise cabinet. The wiring scheme is on the controller's manual.

• Thank you qumo2016.
    I think the Robotiq universal controller is something similar to what I call "I-O module" :icon_smile: ...

I am not very sure what do you mean by I-O module. I used the Robotiq universal controller with an EtherCat port and connected it with the Sunrise cabinet. The wiring scheme is on the controller's manual.

• i am trying to install a Robotiq 2-85 gripper on a Kuka iiwa robot. I tried to follow the instructions in the link posted above but I am struggling when comes to mapping the inputs / outputs. The work visual screens i am getting look a little different than the ones shown in the instructions and I don't have a Sunrise I/O tab that I can select. ---Did I miss a step or something?

• make sure you have correct version of WorkVisual that is compatible with your version of SunriseOS.

next you need to integrate Sunrise.KOP (again, it must be correct version) into WorkVisual using menu Extras, Option Package Management. then you will see the Sunrise tab.

1) read pinned topic: READ FIRST...

2) if you have an issue with robot, post question in the correct forum section... do NOT contact me directly

3) read 1 and 2

• google "Everything" and first link will be from void.com

it is a nice small program, ultra fast. that helps you find files anywhere on your computer, if you only know the name (or parts of name)

one you give it a try there is no going back. :thumbs_up:

1) read pinned topic: READ FIRST...

2) if you have an issue with robot, post question in the correct forum section... do NOT contact me directly

3) read 1 and 2

• google "Everything" and first link will be from void.com

it is a nice small program, ultra fast. that helps you find files anywhere on your computer, if you only know the name (or parts of name)

one you give it a try there is no going back. :thumbs_up:

That is black magic there, what is the catch?!

Advertising from our partners