Used Robot Purchase (how to judge it's condition)

• Hello All,

I'm going to look at a used M-900 Robot that's a R30iA controller with 5k hours on it.

Do you have any recomendation for things to look for? or how to determine what kind of condition it's in?

I was going to jog each axis fully and check for noises. Also, look inside the cabinet for anything abnormal.

Please let me know.

Thanks.

• What was it doing before? There's a big difference in 5K hours between palletizing boxes in a warehouse and working with a full load in forging or casting. Has it ever been PM'd? Cable harness, motors, wrist ever been replaced? No broken connectors on robot. Controller-to-robot cables, teach pendant and TP cable in good shape? Is the inside of the controller clean? If the inside of the controller is dirty, then that says alot about how it was cared for.
    Jog each axis of the robot over a range of speeds and feel for vibration - a motor bearing going bad will be more apparent at certain speeds. If you suspect an axis with an RV, take a long cable tie and stick it in the grease outlet and check the condition of the grease making sure there is no sign of metal. Does it still have the software media with it? Is the application software and options what you need? Does the serial # on the controller and robot match?
    Hope she's in good shape and you're getting a good deal.

• look at it the same way you would look at a used car.
    At 5000 hours that is roughly 2 1/2 years of production at 40 hours a week. That translates to low miles. Then look it over for signs of wear, paint rubbed off or peeling off the j3 arm.
    Sample the grease from each axis paying particular attention to axis 3, 4, and the wrist. This is where the most wear will show up.
    Fanuc puts paint marks on the bolts so you can tell if it has been apart. Look at the motor and RV attaching bolts for the paint marks to see if it has been apart.
    If you can power it on, go to menu, status, axis, next, then diagnose. Here you can find the collision information and other information about how hard the robot was run.
    If the robot data sheet is in the controller look at the pulse counts on the data sheet and compare them to the pulse counts in the DMR group to see if they are the same. If they are different the robot has been mastered.

• What was it doing before? There's a big difference in 5K hours between palletizing boxes in a warehouse and working with a full load in forging or casting. Has it ever been PM'd? Cable harness, motors, wrist ever been replaced? No broken connectors on robot. Controller-to-robot cables, teach pendant and TP cable in good shape? Is the inside of the controller clean? If the inside of the controller is dirty, then that says alot about how it was cared for.
    Jog each axis of the robot over a range of speeds and feel for vibration - a motor bearing going bad will be more apparent at certain speeds. If you suspect an axis with an RV, take a long cable tie and stick it in the grease outlet and check the condition of the grease making sure there is no sign of metal. Does it still have the software media with it? Is the application software and options what you need? Does the serial # on the controller and robot match?
    Hope she's in good shape and you're getting a good deal.

Great questions.

I'm not sure it's exact job it served. It's coming from the GM Plant in Kansas city that shut down.

I was told it had every PM done to it as Fanuc recomends and they have records of it. Everything should be intact. I will try looking at the grease. That does seem like a good idea.

Software doesn't matter because Fanuc makes you re-licensing it anyways (if you ever need anything or support). I know I will need to add Collision guard and Ethernet/IP, so I will need to pay for re-licensing.

• dmbj is right. Most GM and Chrysler robots come loaded with options. GM used to run customized versions of software on some lines with lots of Karel routines. Reloading software was a necessity.

• Yea, the problem is if we ever need a spare part or anything from Fanuc, being that we don't already have another robot of the same type, we won't get any help.

I thought about seeing if it has collision guard and ethernet/ip, just waiting to re-license till we need it.

The problem is, say it has only one of the options I need, I can't buy any other options since it's not in our name. SO you have to pay fanuc. It's crazy honestly.

It would be like me buying a car with a sunroof option, but then when you buy it from me, you would need to call the dealership to unlock it. Maybe you could get by without paying for it, but then you'll never get another oil change. SMH

Thanks guys.

• Fanuc likes to get paid. :uglyhammer2:
    Do it right, that way if you need support you can get it.
    On the other hand if the robot has the options you need use it. If at some time you need Fanuc support, you can play dumb and re license it then.

Advertising from our partners