ethernet package options for remote data exhange PC - KR C4

• Hi,

We would appreciate some hints to configure ethernet communication between a software running in a remote PC and a KRL program running
    in a KR C4 compact controller with KSS 8.3

We have found that there are (at least) 4 KUKA packages to do that:

KUKA.EtherNet KRL 2.2
    KUKA.RobotSensorInterface 3.2
    KUKA.PLC mxAutomation 2.1.3
    KR C4 EtherNet/IP 2.0 Controller Option

Our application is quite simple, in terms of data exchange between a PC and a KR C4, so we think the KR C4 EtherNet/IP 2.0 Controller Option is enough, as it provides data exchange carried out on a client-server basis, where the robot controller can be a scanner and/or an adapter.

Questions:
    1) The KR C4 Ethernet/IP option is included in the KR C4 controller software?

2) We read that KR C4 Ethernet/IP option allows to configure acyclic communication over Ethernet/IP just using two KUKA System Software 8.3 commands for Common Industrial Protocol (CIP) TCP/IP communication
    - CRead (nHandle, Stat, RMode, TimeOut, Offset, "%r",Buffer[]);
    - CWrite (nHandle,Stat,WMode,"%1.16r",Buffer[])
    where the buffer data format is not predefined. The interpretation of the data is the responsibility of the external software and KRL programmer. Are those commands Cread and CWrite part of KSS V8.3?

3) As we would like to communicate LabVIEW with KRL remotely, we found that KUKA.PLC mxAutomation 2.1.3 brings out communication blocks for data excahnge and also for program managment, but there are no specific information nor examples available on internet to check that out. Do you recommend KUKA.PLC mxAutomation 2.1.3 instead of KR C4 EtherNet/IP 2.0 option?

4) The KUKA.EtherNet KRL 2.2 package provides explicit functions for data exchange using xml messages over TCP/IP and UDP/IP, requiring just have the way to send xml messages through the ethernet port, that for LabVIEW is quite simple. So, is this an option to consider?.

5) We also read that KUKA.RobotSensorInterface 3.2 allows remote low level robot joint control, besides data exchange, but we don't require to control the robot movement. We just need to update trajectory points "on the fly", while the KRL program is running.

So, which option is beter for simple data exchange between a PC and a KR C4 over ethernet? is there any other issue to consider before make the package selection?

Thank you in advance!
    Manuel

• EIP is, AFAIK, only applicable between EIP Fieldbus masters and slaves. I'm not aware of any way to use it to communicate "telnet-style" with a typical PC-side application. There may be such a capability in the top-level EIP spec, but I've never seen any sign of such functionality being part of the KUKA implementation.

RSI is expressly for realtime I/O. Unless you require realtime control of robot motion, and can support a hard requirement for 12ms or faster updating, RSI is not what you want. It is also much more finicky to set up and use.

mxAutomation I can't speak to, having never used it.

EKI is probably the default choice for simple client-server communications over TCP/IP between a KRC and a typical PC application. It's about the closest the KRC can come to emulating a Telnet session, or an old serial-terminal setup.

• Thank you for your comments.

I've found a 5th ethernet communication option between PC and KR C4:
    KUKA OPC-Server. This software allows to share TAGS for read and wite KRL variables with an OPC client. But again, the available info is just informative. LabVIEW and also Matlab have OPC client libraries to interact with OPC servers.

Then, the software package selection decision is getting more difficult.

• software versions you mention are not most recent (but then we also don't know your KSS8.3 version exactly either).

CREAD/CWRITE is part of KSS and it is already on every controller. it is not an option.

EIP does allow acyclic communication option as well but i have not tried it, those who did said it was a bit involved. I never needed it, one can exchange a lot of data cyclically too.

1) read pinned topic: READ FIRST...

2) if you have an issue with robot, post question in the correct forum section... do NOT contact me directly

3) read 1 and 2

• Hello Manuel,
    1.EIP is the field bus exchanging data via IOs among scanner and adapter,it does allow acyclic communication .if you wanna use it, firstly, your external PC has to support EIP ,and what's more,the EIP option package need installing on robot controller.
    2.RSI is robot sensor interface to realize realtime data exchange via IO or Ethernet(4/12ms),and compensate or directly control robot motion.
    3.Mxautomation is the option package which can sopport the integration with robot and external controller(PC orPLC),for which programmer has no need to familiarize robot programming( use those mxautomation function blocks as interfaces in plc or C#,C++ platform).if you use labview or c language in your PC, it will be more complicated ,you need take more into consideration,morely, now labview library is unavailable.
    4.OPC can also be alternative,but it seems this package is not that easy for use,sometimes it's not that successful,
    5.Fast send drive(FSD) actually can be as option,it can only send out data with each cyclerate of 1 ms,normally, this if often using in measurement system.
    6.As recommended by your description to send out current pos,EKI is satisfying your requirement,it can support both xml format and raw data format(string).you can write EKI functionality in sps (interpreter0).
    Good luck.

Kind regards
    Andrew

来自我的 MI 5s 上的 Tapatalk

Advertising from our partners