KUKA KRC1 KR 15 losing calibration after switching on

• Hi All,
    This is my first post here, I have read all about how to post thinks on. So we have got used KUKA robot KR 15 with KRC 1 controller. We have managed to make it work and all safety is taken care of. This robot was standing still for about 3-5 years. After successful calibration of it we have saved all files on hard drive. The following problem is that every time we switch it on we get quite a few errors. All errors are listed bellow. The main problem is that robot is loosing calibration data and data for robot number. So we get errors that robot number is not equal the one in directory and robot is not mastered. And there is an communication error between DSE-RDW. After changing robot number to the one specified in directory sometimes the error for mastering robot disappears, sometimes it doesn't.

Here are the list of all errors:

Errors after switching robot on
    1606 InterBUS : bus error 0.0 (disabled, since we don't need it)
    1025 Error configuration I/O driver INTERBUS
    1008 Controler booted
    271 Robotnr. 0 isn't equal calibration file 9915 (no description in fault list manual)
    275 Set robotnr. –program robotname (no description in fault list manual)
    276 Wrong machine data for this robotname
    105 Transmission error DSE-RDW 1
    106 Perform Mastering A1!
    106 Perform Mastering A2!
    106 Perform Mastering A3!
    106 Perform Mastering A4!
    106 Perform Mastering A5!
    106 Perform Mastering A6!
    1326 HPU /ZM_CIBO1 : 36 compilation error
    1100 Stopped A1 ( Axis has been moved out of standstill position, which is not true)
    108 Dynamic breaking active
    1229 Ackn. Watchdog power module PM1 (The watchdog on the power module has dropped out. The watchdog is triggered by the DSE every 0.125ms.)

0 BOF error loading DAT-File(s)
    1318 HPU File description cannot be processed
    0 TPUSER Double declaration! Object »TOUCH_1« already exists (Module: C_TOOL.KFD, …)
    0 BOF PowerOn finished
    200 Drives contactor off
    1347 Robot not mastered
    0 Simulate1 ATENCION, ANTORCHA BLOQUEADA

After changing robot number from 0 to 9915 and rebooting the computer we get errors shown below.

Errors after rebooting the computer
    1606 InterBUS : bus error 0.0
    1614 Error during scan device 5
    1025 Error configuration I/O driver INTERBUS
    1008 Controler booted
    106 Perform Mastering A1!
    106 Perform Mastering A2!
    106 Perform Mastering A3!
    106 Perform Mastering A4!
    106 Perform Mastering A5!
    106 Perform Mastering A6!
    1326 HPU /ZM_CIBO1 : 36 compilation error
    0 BOF error loading DAT-File(s)
    0 TPUSER Double declaration! Object »TOUCH_1« already exists (Module: C_TOOL.KFD, …)
    0 BOF PowerOn finished
    200 Drives contactor off
    1347 Robot not mastered
    0 Simulate1 ATENCION, ANTORCHA BLOQUEADA

I have already found out that there can be problems with DSE or RDW card or cable. We have already cheched the cable but it works fine.

If you have any suggestions we will be more than thankful.

BR
    Timi

• As Schilberg said, most likely the batteries. The batteries are used to perform a controlled shutdown -- after killing main power, the controller operates from the batteries long enough to write the current data to the EEPROM in the RDC card. If the batteries lack sufficient power, this process will not complete, and most of the error messages you are seeing will result.
    If the batteries are not at fault, it may be necessary to replace the RDC card.
    First, however, the batteries should be replaced, and the KRC1 left powered-on for at least 12hrs to ensure the batteries are fully charged. Then shut down main power, restart the controller, and see if the errors have been resolved.
    Also, check the voltage level across the batteries when main power is on. The charging circuit should maintain ~27VDC across the batteries.

• Hi!
    We have already changed both batteries in the controller and it is currently showing 26.7 VDC. I have found small battery in the computer too it was 2032 battery and it was bad also so I change it. I have been turning it on and off now for couple off days and every time I turn it on I get the same errors, but after changing the robot number in settings from 0 to 9915 and restarting it, error for mastering disappears and every thing works fine. So you think that it is this card?

BR
    Timi

• No, it's all the same data. This is how it works:

The robot maintains dual parallel copies of the robot serial number, hour meter, and mastering data on both the hard drive and the RDC card (which is located in the base of the robot). This enables you to put a new controller on a robot, or vice versa, without losing specific data. For example, if the controller had to be rebuilt from scratch (say, the hard drive suffered a complete failure), all the data on the hard drive would be lost, but the newly-rebuilt controller could pull that data from the RDC. Likewise, if the robot or RDC card had to be replaced with a new one (or if one were swapping parts between robots), the copy on the controller could be used to update the RDC card.

The fact that you can update the RDC card from the Robot Data menu suggests that the RDC card is not at fault. The fact that the data loss happens only when you shut down the robot suggests an issue with the batteries or charging circuit. The fact that the data loss does not happen every time you shut down the robot is... interesting. This could be caused by the batteries having just barely enough charge to keep the controller running for the full time required for a controlled shutdown (but not always). Or that there is something else interfering intermittently with the shutdown process.

When you shut down the controller, does it take the same amount of time to completely shut down every time? Or does it seem to take more or less time randomly? One of the key indicators of dead batteries is when you shut down the power and the teach pendant goes dark too quickly.
    Does the controller post any warning messages about the batteries? If not... well, I'm not sure. I could be a strange software issue, but the only way to test that theory would be to re-install KSS from scratch (after making a careful full-drive backup image of the robot first!).

• I have been turning on and off robot now for couple of days and still the error for wrong robot number and mastering were present, but after replacing robot number in settings and restarting controller everything was working fine. not a single time I had problem with calibration. I am guessing that if the robot would be shut down for a weak then it may loose calibration again.
    I have been measuring the shut down time and it was always the same. The controller doesn't not show any error with batteries all errors are shown above in first post.
    Thanks for the explanation SkyeFire.
    If you have any other suggestions they are more than welcome.

• Hi every one,

We are new in robot thing and purchased 2 used robots kr150 with krc1
    We have an issue about serial numbers... Cabinets and arms were mixed while purchasing :icon_confused:

Could you explain where I can change the serial numbers ? I can't find in any documents or manual.

Thx! Kuka power!

• [size=2]serial numbers are assigned by KUKA. they are stored on HDD and on RDC.[/size]

[size=2]marrying robot to a different controller requires some configuration in both hardware and software (for example in KRC1, OM6 need o be programmed for correct current limit, axes wiring inside cabinet need to be adjusted according to robot size...).[/size]

[size=2]if both controllers are configured for same robot type, then only software configuration need change.[/size]

[size=2]it would be MUCH easier to help you (and ensure you get CORRECT information) if you would provide details. please read topic READ FIRST[/size]

1) read pinned topic: READ FIRST...

2) if you have an issue with robot, post question in the correct forum section... do NOT contact me directly

3) read 1 and 2

• thank you very much for your replies.

1/ the cabinets are for the same type of robots. All the plant, where we bought them, was equiped with the same robots.
    The thing is, they unconnect everyones and store them randomly separetely the arms and the cabinets...
    We sent only a guy with a truck to pick-up, so nobody looked to the references...

We also had a first issue: no KCP with the pack. So we bought ONE on ebay.
    The KCP we have is compatible but we do not have a rotative switch to select T1 T2... we only have I O and the red emergency buttons at the top right of the KCP.

We work on the first cabinet and robot arm for now. It is difficult to powerup both at the same time. We do not have much space.

2/I will sumup a detailled situation ASAP. Here is the best I can do for now:
    Yes I read all the stuff in READ FIRST, maybe I lost something, I will re-read.
    We did not have anything else than paper wiring diagrams in the cabinets. So, I also downloaded a lot of KUKA documentations before powering and connect.

Unfortunetly, there is nowhere talking about serial numbers in those documentations.
    They instantly talk about wiring or about calibrating, jogging....

For now the robots are in a place where we cannot go every day whenever we want.
    So we unplugged the HDDs (2 HDDs + one was in a separate box for spare I believe) to reach the file at home and look forward.
    Do you think I could reach the files and change manually the robot serial number in HDD?
    I have one digit of difference xxxxxxxxx0 instead of xxxxxxxx1

Our feeling is: It should be great to re-install a clean HDD.
    Do you know where we could download installation CDs?

have a nice sunday!
    I keep you posted ASAP

I am not fluent in english, sorry.

• [size=2]when buying a used robot system, make sure to get COMPLETE system that WORKS. complete means with ALL documentation and software. it is a TERRIBLE idea to buy a non-functional or incomplete system and try hunting for missing pieces yourself, specially when you don't know much about it. you can never be sure if the components even fit together or if they are in working order. this has to be the most painful way to get something running.

you got printed schematics? great... do they match this cabinet? if they do drawings number will be the same as cabinet article number. if external cabinet nameplate is damaged, there is backup label inside cabinet on the right wall (need to open door and then swing out PC frame).

there are different teach pendants and they have different article numbers. your KCP is apparently not as compatible as you thought. if it was, you would have a way to change mode. changing system to use different teach pendant is not a trivial task. you should be really nervous about making changes even if you had correct schematics and at least second system that is functional.

without getting this resolved you are contemplating reloading software from medias that you don't have. you don't even know what software versions go together. asking for software here will get you banned. if you need software talk to seller or product manufacturer (KUKA).

and in case you really think about reloading software, did you at least consider making any backups? i would think of duplicating HDD or making HDD image at least so you have at least an option to get back to where you started.

[/size]

• and for editing serial number on HDD... why bother? powerup robot, it will complain that serial numbers don't match and offer choice to decide which number is correct - on the RDC or on the HDD.

1) read pinned topic: READ FIRST...

2) if you have an issue with robot, post question in the correct forum section... do NOT contact me directly

3) read 1 and 2

• and for editing serial number on HDD... why bother? powerup robot, it will complain that serial numbers don't match and offer choice to decide which number is correct - on the RDC or on the HDD.

If your root issue is that the controller and arm were mixed up, the correct choice will be RDC.

As Panic says, your KCP is not correct for your KRC1. When the KRC1s were being manufactured, some customers wanted the Mode Select on the pendant, but other customers demanded that the switch be on the cabinet bulkhead. This forced KUKA to make two different parallel models of KCP at the same time. You appear to have a KRC1 that needs the Mode Select on the KCP, but the KCP is made for the other version of KRC1.

You also need to be quite careful about the generation of KCP -- if you bought a KRC2 KCP, for example (they appear very nearly identical to KRC1 KCPs), you probably won't be able to use it. You should probably contact KUKA tech support, give them the robot serial numbers, and ask for a list of compatible KCP Article Numbers.

• Hi everyone,

Thank you very much for your answers.
    About the idea/choice to buy a robot without further information about it and no knowledge... But we had to start somwhere...
    I know we took a risk buying those robots, but the passion and the price were there...

Firstable I would like to apologize about the software question - I thought it was OK, I have a robot, I thought there were not a the licence issue. But OK, I will ask to KUKA directly.

About the KCP type, you are right, our is not suitable. I think we have 3 choices:
    1- unmount and check if the wiring is inside and buy a switch - we still need the switch wiring diagram...
    2- check the cabinet again and find the pinout (I found a diagram of the X19 and I am looking for the cabinet side pinout)- we still need the switch wiring diagram...
    3- find another KCP suitable $$$

About the serial number issue, I found the file, situated in the HDD there: Program...\KRC\IR_SPEC\
    it is a ###.CAL file where the # are the serial number.
    I replace it with the right number and we no longer have a serial number issue message.

We have to concentrate on the KCP for now.

Our goal is to have a start:
    Kuka moving
    no error message
    and later we would like to program the movements with a rhino grasshopper extension... LATER!

I will try to present the full project as soon as I can with a description of:
    Robot arm: type, number,pictures...
    Cabinet: type, number, software versions, options inside (I think there are a lot of services controllers and protocol due to the RENAULT plant where the arm was working)

I hope you will all help us to understand like you did until now.

Best regards, I will keep you posted.

Edited once, last by ARAx2 ().

Advertising from our partners