Axis range Monitoring

• Hi all,
    I am trying to implement an axis range monitoring on my LBR IIWA 7 (running sunrise 1.11). The idea is to prevent the robot from exceeding the axis range, especially when in compliant control. I would also like to have workspace monitoring.
    I have tried configuring the safety features to do that, but my problem is that every time the robot goes out of the range I define, the safety ESM kicks in and completely blocks the robot. I then need to go into KRF mode, jog the robot out and restart the application - this is not at all convenient and logical. The ideal would be a controller that just stops the robot at the boundary. I could also live with something that breaks, but without going into recovery mode.

Has someone tried to implement such a controller?

Cheers,

• That is, in fact, the way that safety range monitoring works across the industry, and is mandated by RIA specs. If you think this is not logical, consider that these safety specs are written for industrial robots that carry hundreds of kilograms at velocities up to 2m/s or higher, and never operate in anything like the iiWA's compliance mode. When one of those robots is properly configured and programmed, the only time it will hit the safety range limit is when something has going very badly wrong, creating potentially lethal circumstances. The iiWA is a quite odd beast, in that under certain modes it must adhere to these same RIA safety standards (due to the amount of kinetic energy it can potentially attain at max payload and velocity), and only in certain special low-energy modes is safe for "cobot" operation. Inherently-safe robots like the UR and Baxter/Sawyer avoid this by having inherently soft and compliant actuation, and being physically unable to achieve kinetic energies sufficient to invoke the RIA standards (and also give up speed and accuracy).
    If you want something more along the lines of the robot resisting going out of bounds, well, you may simply have to add an additional PID-type function atop your compliance application that increases resistance on each axis as a function of its proximity to its safety limit.

• Hi all,
    I am trying to implement an axis range monitoring on my LBR IIWA 7 (running sunrise 1.11). The idea is to prevent the robot from exceeding the axis range, especially
    Has someone tried to implement such a controller?
    Cheers,

Yes. You can. Just add a software limit to the handguiding() motion for the iiwa. I already answered this question in alexanderdsmith's thread. Check it out on the link of my answer + Code:

http://www.robot-forum.com/rob…uiding/msg88308/#msg88308

REMARK: handGuidingMotion.setAxisLimitsMax is a software limit, that works only with that particular handGuiding() motion in that particular program. If you want a Workspace Monitoring use your security feature, in a way that your work-space is larger than the software limits.

Advertising from our partners