iiwa Profibus Communication via I/O Configuration

• Hi Paavo,

did you get it working? It would be nice if you could provide some feedback.
    I will probably get a similar gripper for an iiwa and I am using the media flange pneumatic.

You seem to have the IO pneumatic flange, right? So why do you have so much additional hardware (Beckhoff EK1100 ...)?

The manual states that: "The media flange IO pneumatic is supplied with power by the robot
    controller. No external power or data source is required. Data cable
    X650, X651 is required for operation."

Please correct me if I am wrong. I just want to get a general idea.

Thank you.

We have now built a "custom construction" at the flange of iiwa (See photo) :biggrins:. We extract power from X11, X12 and X13 sockets of the flange for Schunk EGL 90 PB (the gripper) and for the Beckhoff EK1100.

I have tried to configure the connection to the gripper in WorkVisual. I have managed to connect EK1100 and EL6731 to the KUKA System bus. I have .gsd-file of the EGL 90 Pb B gripper provided by Schunk. I have inserted this .gsd-file to the Profibus IO from the EL6731 in WorkVisual (EL6731 is profibus master and gripper is slave). The screenshot (attached) clarifies the situation in WorkVisual.
    If I export this configuration to Sunrise project and deploy the project from Workbench to the to the controller, the following error appear on SmartPAD: <SYS-X48> Error during ECat stack initialization. Device: EL6731 PROFIBUS DP Master [Init: init command failed - PREOP to SAFEOP]."
    It is well possible that I have not configured the the settings in WorkVisual correctly. (eg. distributed clock settings of EL6731). If some obvious reason for the above error can be spotted based on the attached WorkVisual-screenshot, please let me know.

• The additional hardware is required for ethercat to profibus conversion. We configured the fieldbus to the gripper with Kuka support, but have not succeeded to transfer data via the bus. So, I do not recommend profibus-gripper with iiwa.

Lähetetty minun LG-D855 laitteesta Tapatalkilla

• Hi!
    Well,
    This integration was not solved with Kuka support. The bus to the grippers can be configured in WorkVisual. However we were not able to receive or transmit data from the gripper. We tried different datatypes (bytes, Signed ints.. ) in WorkVisual.
    We can use gripper only via usb.

Edited once, last by PaavoUEF ().

• [size=2]Are you knowledgeable about Profibus? Did you use it before?

What is your exact configuration (WoV project)?

Are you sure your wiring is correct? in my experience this is where most users make mistakes.[/size]

[size=2]In your screenshots i don't see:[/size]
    [size=2]1. power to io (only to bus coupler)[/size]
    [size=2]2. any terminators [/size]
    [size=2]3. any io actually mapped [/size]

1) read pinned topic: READ FIRST...

2) if you have an issue with robot, post question in the correct forum section... do NOT contact me directly

3) read 1 and 2

Edited once, last by panic mode ().

• Hi!
    Well,
    This integration was not solved with Kuka support. The bus to the grippers can be configured in WorkVisual. However we were not able to receive or transmit data from the gripper. We tried different datatypes (bytes, Signed ints.. ) in WorkVisual.
    We can use gripper only via usb.

Hi PaavoUEF,

We are very close to getting our Schunk rotary unit parameterized. I plan to post all of the steps we took to get it to where we needed it. Just an FYI, KUKA was only able to help with the front end: the bulk of the help we needed was through communication with Schunk and Beckhoff. If you haven't already, I would try to talk to your gripper provider and Beckhoff about the problems you are having. We are currently working on configuring our .GSD file for bootup, and once we have that working, we should be able to communicate with the Schunk through the robot.

I'll have a topic made on the IIWA form about how I got it working some time soon, if I am able to get it going.

College student currently in undergraduate program in Biomedical Engineering and Computer Science working internship with a KUKA LBR iiwa R800 7kg Robot.&nbsp; I'm still learning the basics, but I hope to master the techniques necessary to operate and understand this robot during my time in University!

• Hi PaavoUEF,

I was using a similar Setup with the Beckhoff components, the Schunk Gripper and the iiwa and it did work.

There are a few steps you need to take:

If you doubleclick on the gripper in the tree on the left in WoV the configuration page of the gripper opens. Under modul configuration I entered the SMP2.0 protocol for Input and Output.(First Input, second Slot Output)
    Now you have to Partition your Input and Output Bytes by clicking Fieldbus, selecting the gripper and clicking down on the right on edit Signals on Provider or something similar. Attached you will find a Picture of how i did it, it should be the same as in the Schunk quick Startup Manual.

Now create matching Signals in the sunrise IO Group and connect them to the gripper Signals. check second pic. Now Export and write a class for communication with the gripper and it should work.

Best regards, kiwi

• Wow,
    Thanks alexanderdsmith, kiwi8 and panic mode.
    I will utilize the valuable information you shared, when I continue with working with iiwa. I think your experiences with gripper integration will be useful also for others.

I will try configuration similar to kiwi first.

Edited once, last by PaavoUEF ().

• If you doubleclick on the gripper in the tree on the left in WoV the configuration page of the gripper opens. Under modul configuration I entered the SMP2.0 protocol for Input and Output.(First Input, second Slot Output)
    Now you have to Partition your Input and Output Bytes by clicking Fieldbus, selecting the gripper and clicking down on the right on edit Signals on Provider or something similar. Attached you will find a Picture of how i did it, it should be the same as in the Schunk quick Startup Manual.

Hi kiwi8,

You mentioned this quick startup manual for the EGL gripper, and I was wondering whether you know if the IO described in that manual are the same for all Profibus devices? I have been trying to communicate with our US representative for several weeks, but to no avail. I'm using a PRH rotary unit, which I assume should have the same configuration, but I have been trying to confirm that before I send the code over and cause damage to the unit. Also, for sending test code/commands, did you just change the IO values to match movement commands in Sunrise or was there a specific way to code for movement?

Thanks!

College student currently in undergraduate program in Biomedical Engineering and Computer Science working internship with a KUKA LBR iiwa R800 7kg Robot.&nbsp; I'm still learning the basics, but I hope to master the techniques necessary to operate and understand this robot during my time in University!

• Hi,

I'm far from an expert on the matter, however as far as I understand it, the Schunk Drive protocol is used for all Schunk products, I guess. On my disk with Software and Manuals, that came with the gripper there is a very unhelpful Manual for each gripper and the SDP which apparently is used on them all. I can send you the document via pm, I'm not sure if I can just post it here. As for getting it to run, I used the Version 2 in WoV to set up communication. And I don't think you will damage the unit when sending wrong commands, in my experience if I set it incorrectly I just get the bus error.
    For testing I just put the Robot in T1 and set the values I wanted in the I/O tab. Worked out OK for me.

Hope this helps, kiwi

• Hi again!

Looks like we are getting closer and closer with every passing hour. I have a few more questions for you kiwi8, if you don't mind.

Firstly, I noticed that I only have 16 input bytes and 8 output bytes, however the manual describes 18 input and 24 output bytes. Did you have a similar problem here? I programmed everything that I could, and left out the bytes at the end that I couldn't fit.
    Next, I am getting an error on the robot: SYS-X44 PB Master1: Station Addr = 2 "PTA max 12MBits" does not respond to PROFIBUS (PTA max 12MBits is our .gsd device description file for the rotary unit). I believe this error relates to the configuration of either the Profibus master or the baud rate I am using. If you or someone else has insight on these, please let me know.

Currently I am getting an I/O Group error, the RUN LED on the Profibus Master is solid green, and the BF LED is flashing red (in clear/operate mode, according to the manual)

Thank you!

EDIT: NO ERRORS!!! :biggrins: :biggrins: :biggrins:

I was able to get this to work (FINALLY) by setting the baud rate of the Master to 500 kbaud (which was described in the Motion Tool Schunk software as the CAN baud rate). I am now working on figuring out how to set those values to get the tool to rotate, then we will be good to go!

Thank you all so much for your help!!

Edited once, last by alexanderdsmith ().

• It looks like the robot is working as expected. I will write up detailed documentation on how we got this specific application to work and post it here some time this week.

• Hi there,

Sorry for the hiatus, I have been out of the state for a few weeks, and just got back to my lab to finish up the documentation. Please read through it thoroughly. I hope it helps!

-Alex

--EDIT--
    The PROFIBUS manual has been updated (9/20/17). Continue messaging me your concerns, and I will keep updating it!

Advertising from our partners