KUKA help in Southern California

• I need a KUKA tech to help start my arm KR210 with KRC2. The intended use is machining soft materials.
    Everything works but need the stand alone set up jumper on XS2 and to check some other thinks in the system.
    Thanks.

• Thanks for the advice. That is what I did first.

When they quoted me, they were sending someone from NorCal at a cost that well... not very good... in my view.
    I have done engineering for more that 3 decades and I know what reasonable is.

Or maybe I am a stupid Mech engineer... could be.

Edited once, last by Ceta11 ().

• Well, the advice you get here on the forum is going to be worth, at best, slightly more than what you pay for it. :icon_rolleyes:

Less facetiously, there are a lot of variants of KRC2s, and without a lot of back-and-forth, we have no way to be certain we're not steering you down a blind alley. Or into a wiring change that will fry your controller. Especially if your robot is second-hand, which most KRC2s these days are. We also don't know how much knowledge you have of robots in general, and KUKAs in particular, and how much information you have -- for example, your KRC2 should have a complete set of electrical drawings, on paper, inside. But often these seem to be the first thing that goes missing from any 2nd-hand controllers. :wallbash: The only people who could be certain to get you copies of the correct drawings would be KUKA Service, working from the controller serial number (and even then, if the KRC2 was modified by someone post-factory....)

The service charges are for the specialized knowledge (generally demand exceeds supply), travel costs, and the confidence from having someone hands-on with the controller to see the things that we, on the forum, could miss. Plus, if you pay them for the work, it's generally warranteed to some degree. If you try to do it yourself with advice from a gang of people just spitballing over the internet...

So, first question: what variant of the KRC2 is this? Volkswagen? GM? "Vanilla"? Ford? Normally the standalone jumper is placed on X11 -- I'm not familiar with XS2, offhand (granted, it's been over ten years since I did a KRC2). Win95 or WinXP? ed-2005, or earlier? What version of KSS is it running? What option packages does it have installed? Does it have a servo disconnect? When you acknowledge the error messages, which messages remain that won't clear?

A lot of what you need is available in the Manuals, Software&Tools sub-forum next door. KRC2 manuals are pretty plentiful, although electrical schematics are a little harder to come by (all those sub-variants...).

• Thank for replying Skyefire.

So, first question: what variant of the KRC2 is this? Volkswagen? GM? "Vanilla"? Ford?
    VW KRC2 (it was inspected and certified by KUKA).

Normally the standalone jumper is placed on X11 -- I'm not familiar with XS2, offhand (granted, it's been over ten years since I did a KRC2).
    Same on XS2. I have the dwgs. schematics and references.

Win95 or WinXP? ed-2005, or earlier?
    W95 2004

What version of KSS is it running?
    KS V5.74 2006 release.

What option packages does it have installed?
    Don't know.

Does it have a servo disconnect?
    Don't know

When you acknowledge the error messages, which messages remain that won't clear?
    1) Ext Emergency Stop
    2) Drives contactor off
    3) error on reading driver Interbus and
    4) error on writing driver Interbus

A lot of what you need is available in the Manuals, Software&Tools sub-forum next door.
    Can't find that sub-forum :thinking_face:

KRC2 manuals are pretty plentiful, although electrical schematics are a little harder to come by (all those sub-variants...).
    I have ALL the electrical schematics on paper from KUKA, came with the Controller. And got the XS2 also.

• I may help you little bit. Please see in BLUE above.

• VW? Crap. :away: Those things are terrible -- why VW insisted on taking a good robot and completely mucking it up, I'll never understand.

KSS 5.7 with Win95? That's... an odd combination. I can't recall ever seeing KSS 5.x running on anything but WinXP. Hm.... Well, it shouldn't make to great a difference.

Okay, XS2 is probably the VW equivalent of X11. But I don't have a wiring diagram for a VW-specific override jumper. Still, if you have the full wiring schematic for XS2, that'll help. Assuming the nomenclature for the signals is still similar to the X11 standard, there should be two inputs labelled E-Stop (usually A and B). You need to bridge them to two of the "test outputs", ensuring A-to-A and B-to-B. That should clear the E-Stop error.

The Interbus error... normally, I would simply edit IOSYS.INI and comment out the Interbus driver. But I think the VW may block you from doing that. Unfortunately, I haven't touched a VW KUKAbot since KRC1/KSS 2.2 or so, before VW made a lot of their "improvements".

• I have installed 3 old Vkrc2's already. If you want to jumper xs2 cables have to be placed like this:

A1-B3
    A2-B4
    A3-B1
    A4-B2
    A5-F1
    A6-F2

For the interbus error you can just as Skyefire recommends commend out the interbus driver. Even if you stil have the VW software running this wil not give any problems in my experience.

Every problem has a solution, that isn't the problem. The problem is the solution.

Advertising from our partners