Configuration Issues with DeviceNet

• Greetings,

I'm helping to retrofit an old KR C2 SR Controller. While this is my first experience with an industrial robot, some other members of our team have a bit of experience, but no one has configured C2 before. The robot was previously a GM welding bot.

We are trying to hook up a DeviceNet LPDN card with a Beckhoff KL BK5200 Bus Coupler with modules KL1104 4-channel digital in, KL2114 4-channel digital out, KL3064 4-channel analog in, and KL4002 2-channel analog out.

I read as much documentation for both Kuka and Beckhoff as I could find. I've also Googled every search term I could think of and have read many forum posts before opening a new topic. I've now gone a whole workday without making any progress, so I could really use a nudge in the right direction.

==========devnet.ini==========
    [KRC]
    DEBUG=1
    BAUDRATE=500
    LOGFILE=log/devnet.log
    [1]
    MACID=10

==========iosys.ini==========
    [CONFIG]
    VERSION=1.00
    [DRIVERS]
    DNSC2=13, dnsc2Init, dnsc2drv.o
    [DNSC2]
    INB3=10,0,x1

OUTB3=10,0,x1

ANIN1=10,1,16,3,CAL32768
    ANIN2=10,3,16,3,CAL32768
    ANIN3=10,5,16,3,CAL32768
    ANIN4=10,7,16,3,CAL32768

ANOUT1=10,1,16,3,CAL32768
    ANOUT2=10,3,16,3,CAL32768

We used the value of 3 in the digital I/O because we wanted to make sure we weren't mapping over reserved system space, which the Simulate I/O Monitor made us think we might if we used 0-2.

==========dnsc_2co.ini==========
    [CONFIG]
    MAC_ID=00
    LOGFILE=log/dnsc2.log
    DEBUG=1
    BAUDRATE=500
    OPTIONS=0
    SCANLIST_COMMENT=1

==========dnsc_2sl.ini==========
    [1]
    ;NAME=Beckhoff Bus Terminal
    ;USERNAME=Beckhoff
    MAC_ID=10
    VENDOR_ID=0108
    PRODUCT_TYP=0012
    PRODUCT_CODE=5200
    POLL_RESPL=9
    POLL_CMDL=5

I get the same three errors every time I reconfigure the I/O.
    1025 Configuration error 1/0 driver CH2; Module 10 Error
    1034 Error on writing, driver: LPDN Ch 2
    1033 Error on reading, driver: LPDN Ch 2

Our dnsc2.log file further explains: DNch(2): Device[10]: Data size does not match.

I have tried to address the data size issue with various POLL_RESPL and POLL_CMDL values in dnsc2_sl.ini. The values of POLL_RESPL=9 and POLL_CMDL=5 made sense to me because we have 9 bytes of input (8 bytes of analog in, 1 byte of digital in) and 5 bytes of output data (4 bytes of analog out, 1 byte of digital out). It seems like no matter how I edit my iosys.ini, I keep getting these three errors.

Any help would be thoroughly appreciate.

• assuming all wiring is correct (including devicenet power, terminations), node address and baud rate is matching etc. - i would start with something much simpler... how about making only one card (digital input for example)? another thing is that most bus couplers rearrange data so that DI/DO appear at the end of image, after analog cards (even if analog card may be phisically closer to bus coupler). your io mapping is not taking this into account (which may as well be correct in this case since i have not used BK5200).

1) read pinned topic: READ FIRST...

2) if you have an issue with robot, post question in the correct forum section... do NOT contact me directly

3) read 1 and 2

• I originally tried just mapping the digital input module, but that still produced the "1025 Configuration error 1/0 driver CH2; Module 10 Error" and "1033 Error on reading, driver: LPDN Ch 2" errors, which is part of the reason iosys.ini seemingly has no connection to these issues. I remember reading about the coupler's processing order being Analog Out, Digital Out, Analog In, Digital In, but I assumed that the bus takes care of that and I would still map I/O in an easy to follow way. The physical modules are in the order of Digital In, Digital Out, Analog In, and Analog Out.

All in all, rearranging the order would still seemingly not address the "Data size does not match issue", unless I'm not considering something.

• Well, have you checked the status lights on the bus coupler? Checked the bus cable termination resistance? Confirmed 24VDC across the power pins on the DeviceNet cable, at both ends?

If all that checks out, try the dnWho tools through the Telnet window (forum has archived posts on this).

• Hello All,

I am the other person working on this project, I have worked with Profinet and KRC4 but never DeviceNet on KRC2. Thanks Panic Mode and Skyefire for the help so far!!!!

A little more background on the project...

We are trying to setup an LPDN card as a Master and the Beckhoff 5200 as the slave. There is an MFC card available which we might try if we can't get it to work with the LPDN. Taking Panic Mode's advice I have reduced the the Beckhoff to contain 1 DI card and now changed it to 1DI and 1DO so I can set POLL_RESPL and POLL_CMDL both equal to 1 with no chance of accidentally reversing the settings.

To answer your questions...

There is 23.5V applied at both Beckhoff and LPDN DeviceNet connectors from a brand new Rhino power supply.

The terminal resistance is 60.3 Ohms at the LPDN and 60.3 Ohms at the Beckhoff with all power off. Resistances changes to 56 Ohms at the Beckhoff and 65 Ohms at the LPDN when I power up the machine. (Not sure of the tolerance on the resistors? each end has a 120 Ohm resistor because I could not find a 121. I am currently considering reworking the connections just as something to try.)

Beckhoff Dip Switches set to 500 kBaud and MacID of 10. All config settings are consistent at 500kBaud ( Is it worth trying 125 or 250?)

From Beckhoff literature physical module order shouldn't matter.

All Lights on Beckhoff (Run, Connect and I/O Run) are Green

Both Lights on LPDN card are green

All Config Files are the same as above with the exception of the IOSYS which was changed to the following to reflect the removal of the analogs.
    INB1=10,0,x1

OUTB1=10,0,x1

Other Info.......

We can see both devices when using dnsc1NetWho. dnsc1GetNodeInfo 00 displays the correct settings for the LPDN. dnsc1GetNodeInfo 10 will display more or less correct info when run the first time. If we run that command again the numbers in all the fields move around. For example the product code will come up as 5200 the first time and next time 5200 might be in the POLL field.

I have a strong suspicion that I am missing something silly due my lack of Devicenet experience. I have also read the manuals and the posts.

Every time we reconfig IO it spits out the same errors
    1025 Configuration error 1/0 driver CH2; Module 10 Error
    1034 Error on writing, driver: LPDN Ch 2
    1033 Error on reading, driver: LPDN Ch 2

Any additional suggestion are more than welcome!

• Have you looked at DNSC2.LOG?

Since the lights are green, your physical connection is good, and the baud rate and Mac-ID must be okay. My best guess is that some of the other data, like Vendor ID, may be incorrect. Your best bet at this point is to use a dnWho from Telnet to query the module directly.

• OK I've got DI and DO working. Here's how it went...

We kept getting the following...

ERROR: [10] Data Size Mismatch
    Device[10]: Data size does not match
    Reading/Writing Error: LPDN2 Driver.

We eliminated the read/write errors by mapping the IO's in non-system locations

in our case INB2=10,0,x1
    OUTB2=10,0,x1

When I ran dnsc2ShowDevice 10 I found something odd.

I: 00 00 00 would be displayed when POLL RESPL =3
    O:00 would be displayed when POLL CMDL =1

where the number of pairs of zeros corresponded to the RESPL ans CMDL numbers.

I currently have 2 DI and 4 DO, I had tried several combos of these numbers ,which are supposed to represent BYTES according to Kuka documentation, but in my case seem to represent 2 bits because the Device[10] Error goes away when I configure the dnsc_2sl with
    POLL RESPL=2
    POLL CMDL=1

I can now control DI and DO, but it doesn't make a lot of sense to me.

• Okay, that explains it.

On these Beckhoff "sliced" I/O setups, each "slice", or card, inserted into the backplane takes up 1 byte minimum in the address space. So even if you only have 1 Input slice, with 2 inputs on it, it still occupies 8 bits. If you add another 2-input slice, it's inputs will take up the first two bits of the next byte.
    Some slices will take up more than 1 byte. An analog input that has a resolution of, say, 12 bits will occupy 16 bits in the address space. Basically, you cannot allocate bits in the I/O addressing space in blocks smaller than 8 bits. So a 9-bit slice (I don't think they exist, but...) would occupy 2 bytes, even if it was only using 1 bit of the 2nd byte.

The fact that your query against the module showed a RESPL of 3, rather than 1, tells me that your bus coupler may taking up the 1st two bytes (or possibly the last, sometimes these vendors get creative) for diagnostic information. So your DI slice may be starting at 10,2 rather than 10,0. One quick way to confirm this would be to remove the DI slice, then run the Telnet query again. The RESPL value should drop by one.

• I realized I was wrong in my assumption about each pair representing bits. They represent bytes. The Beckhoff BK5200 required the first RESPL byte of 1. The other cards mapped as expected. So I changed to a 4 DI card, a 4 DO, a 4 ANIN and a 2ANOUT (all analogs 16 bit).

Final

RESPL=10
    CMDL=5

Thanks to all for the help!

• Ah. That's about what I would expect (apparently no diagnostic bytes). You may need to check your addressing as you go -- adding the Analog slices almost always seems to re-arrange the addressing in non-intuitive ways. (or maybe that was Wago, who uses the same form factor)

Anyway, you can map the Analog signals to the $ANIN and $ANOUT channels in the KRC, or to digital double-byte words, or even both. I've always preferred handling my Analogs digitally (if that's not an oxymoron), but everyone has their own preference. But it can be handy to read the raw digital bytes coming from an Analog input while setting known voltages onto the input hardware, and reverse-engineering the conversion ratios. And being able to set an analog output bit-by-bit can come in handy as well -- there are some analog modules out there that use really weird formatting, and every brand has their own spin on it.

• that is with diagnostic byte.

for inputs we get:

4DI = 1 byte
    4AI = 4x2byte = 8 bytes
    then add to that 1 diagnostic byte (only 1 byte and only on inputs, location is end or begin of input image)
    -----------------------------
    total = 1+8+1 = 10 bytes.

for outputs:
    4DO = 1byte
    2AO = 2x2bytes = 4 bytes
    ----------------------------------
    total = 1+4= 5 bytes

1) read pinned topic: READ FIRST...

2) if you have an issue with robot, post question in the correct forum section... do NOT contact me directly

3) read 1 and 2

Advertising from our partners