KUKA KR 1000 1300 Titan

• Hello,

Just some questions about the "KUKA KR 1000 1300 Titan" robot.
    I might use it in an upcoming project, and want to known what are the challenges that one might face using these huge robots? programming, security, etc.

• They mostly work like any other KUKAbot -- most of their differences are beneath the user layer, and handled invisibly. The last time I used on, they could not be used in RoboTeam (that may have changed since), and adding external axes to them was trickier than on a "normal" KR, since Axes 1-3 use dual servomotors on each axis in a Master-Slave configuration.

One thing we tripped over was getting the robot prepped from shipping. Ours came direct from Germany, and in order to "squat" enough to fit into the shipping container, the A2 counterbalance cylinder had to be drained before shipping. So before we could use the Titan, we had to have someone from Roboter North America make a service call to refill the counterbalance cylinder to the correct pressure and level. And we had to provide (IIRC) a pressure bottle of "ultra-pure" nitrogen (which we got from a gasses-supply company just down the road without much trouble). But because we didn't know about this in advance, we started trying to run the Titan without getting this refill done, and almost broke the robot. So you'll want to check with your supplier in advance as to whether you'll need a similar startup service call.
    (again, it's been a few years since I used a Titan, so some things may have changed)

Beyond that, the Titan is really just a big, strong KUKAbot. Programs and runs like any regular bot. You just have to be extra careful about hitting things with it, or pinching things with it, because it's so strong you can do a lot more damage before the robot even notices it hit something.

• One more thing, I can add information about the RDC boards. There are two boards on these big robots. One board are required to connect A1-A3 and the other one used for A4-A5. So, you have two X32 connectors for mastering. I learned this on KR1000 for KRC2 version hard way.

You may need to check if this is same for KRC4.

Advertising from our partners