Using ethernet camera with Roboguide

• I just wanted to post this for future reference in case someone else wants to connect a GigE/Ethernet camera to Roboguide for iRVision setup. It took me a few tries to get this all figured out so I thought I would post it. My 2 biggest hurdles were getting Roboguide to expect a GigE camera, and then being able to view the feed from the camera. For the first issue I found when creating your robot in Roboguide you must select the GigE option, R697 IIRC, along with the standard iRVison options. I had made a copy of a robot that had vision in RG, but that robot lacked the GigE option so there was no GigE option when I tried setting up the camera. As soon as I fixed that the GigE option showed up when I opened vision setup and did a camera setup. After I got that far I could configure the camera, but not see the feed. I talked to Fanuc and was told I needed a Twain driver, not exactly sure what it does, but something along the lines of converting the camera signal to a signal compatible with RG. I ended up getting a Twain driver from Edmund Optics website, place we got our Basler camera from, and after I loaded the driver and restarted the computer everything worked the way I was hoping it would. I get a live feed from the camera and can set up the vision process tools.

Also just in case somebody has a work laptop like I do with company restrictions on it and has trouble doing iRVision setup on it because you cant alter the trusted sites list in Internet Explorer there is a work-around.

• as this is a help topic...

with a real robot with ir vision (current 8.3) the gige option is always there included free with irvision even if you did got get gige cams from fanuc, but often not installed. just go to file software install and install the option using your original usb install software.

also always use internet explorer 32bit not 64bit,. if you are using win xp 64 or newer, you will have a 32 bit internet explorer under c:/win/system32 or some variation.

• Quick question, what type of Basler Camera did you use? And what version of virtual controler it was?

I am trying to connect ethernet GigE Camera: "Basler 2040-25gm, Basler 1300-30gc" with no luck.

Fanuc support in my country told me that ethernet cameras won´t work with roboguide....

thank you

• False, Roboguide support Basler camera. I do it myself.

Download the Pylon app from Basler to set your cam IP.

Then use Explorer from Roboguide and the cam will be detected

Advertising from our partners