How to do socket messaging without R648 ?

• Hello everyone,

I have successfully coupled Matlab and Roboguide with the help of KAREL and R648 (User Socket Message) software options (RB as client and Matlab as TCP/IP server). In essence, I'm sending XYZ coordinates to the real robot that obtained from Matlab program to the robot.

However, when I tried to download and operate my real robot (LR-Mate 200iD) equipped with R30iB controller, I have realized that the real robot controller doesn't have the R648 option. Instead, it got only R636 (Socket Messaging) software option. Therefore it won't recognise certain built-in functions in my program such as MSG_CONNECT.

Therefore could anyone kindly tell me how to communicate between Matlab and R30iB controller without said option (may be only using R R636) or how to get R648 installed in my real robot controller ?

Many thanks in advance. Cheers..!!

:beerchug:

PS : Since we are in academic domain costly purchases won't be a great solution.

• If your positions are known in advance, you could try using FTP to send a file to the controller with all the positions inside and use KAREL to read those positions.
    OR if the positions are simple enough, you could use the Digital Input to send those coordinate as bytes.

All the other way i know of to communicate with the robot come as option and thus are purchasable (including R648).

• Many thanks skalactik.

Could you please tell me more about sending coordinates over DI or any Fanuc document to refer ? In future, it is planned to do some research on haptics and vision, therefore a method capable sending dynamic data to the robot controller might be really useful.

Also, do you have any idea about the price of R648 ?

• Integrator and operator manuals for your controller model are the ones you are looking for.
    (your controller model) integrator manual will show you how and where to do the electrical connection for your controller, while operator manual will teach you how to configure and use the DI.
    Also you can search this forum, i'm pretty sure there is a lot of topics covering this subject.

• Are you sure about the price?

R648 is one of the cheapest options in europe ...

Hi dha,

Roughly how much this option costs in Europe ? We are based in UK, so I believe more or less the prices are same.

• Hello everyone,

I have successfully coupled Matlab and Roboguide with the help of KAREL and R648 (User Socket Message) software options (RB as client and Matlab as TCP/IP server). In essence, I'm sending XYZ coordinates to the real robot that obtained from Matlab program to the robot.

Hi Kosy, I'm working on a task where I'm also trying to send XYZ coordinates calculated in Matlab to a Fanuc M-10iA, would you be willing to give me some more detailed information on how you successfully did it? I would be very thankful for any help.
    Have a nice day!

Advertising from our partners