Compatibility Problem???

• :help:
    My company just bought a cabinet and I was wondering if it is compatible with the KUKA robot they have.
    The cabinet reads:
    KR C2 AK 13
    KR 30-3 (HA) (K)

and the robot is a KR 30-3. When I looked it up, the KR 30-3 takes a C4 controller (according to the KUKA website).
    Would the robot still work? Is there any way to fix this if there is a problem?

• well, there are several things....
    1. KSS5.6 does show MADA for KR30_3 (not HA version)
    2. RDC for KRC2 and KRC4 are different
    3. brakes are connected differently (on KRC4 they are separate, on KRC2 they are paired)
    4. cables are different (X20-X30 for example)
    5. you may still need to exchange some of the drives in the KRC2 cabinet for example

i would consider selling KRC2 and buying KRC4 cabinet.

1) read pinned topic: READ FIRST...

2) if you have an issue with robot, post question in the correct forum section... do NOT contact me directly

3) read 1 and 2

• Thank you for the reply!
    I was just wondering if you could help me explain some of the terms that you used
    such as: KSS, MADA, RDC, HA, and what do you mean when you say " KSS5.6 does show MADA for KR30_3 (not HA version)"
    Can you also help interpret for me what my cabinet means when it says:
    KR C2 AK 13
    KR 30-3 (HA) (K).

Backstory: I am a programmer and my project manager assigned me to do some wiring and then program the robot T_T. :sadsmiley:
    ( I have no experience with KUKA)
    Any help would be much appreciated. Thank you so much!

• KSS: Kuka System Software. set of files and programs that control robot. In case of KRC2 controller, KSS versions 4.xx - 5.xx are used. btw 4.xx is "ancient", 5.0-5.4 is "older", and 5.5+ is "recent" (relatively speaking).

MADA: MAchine DAta. set of files (two special DAT files) that describe particular robot arm (length of linkages, motor specs, gear ratios, everything...). to make KSS work with another robot, simply replace MADA. KSS comes with library of MADA for various robots, not just one that came with particular controller.

RDC: Resolver/Digital converter. What makes servo possible is closed loop control with position sensors of some sort. Those sensors are usually referred to as encoder (on a robot, they are tipically built into motor). feedback sensor type used on KUKA robots is resolver. it is an analog device and RDC converts all those analog signals from all axes into digital format so controller can use it. RDC is printed circuit board of about 150x150 mm mounted inside black metal box at the base of the robot.

HA: high accuracy. this is premium robotic arm. there are many other designations like HW (hollow wrist), PA (palletizing robot), K (console/shelf mounted robot) etc.

basic kuka robot naming convention:
    KR-xxx - yyy etc.

KR is simply "kuka robot"
    KR30 is robot for up to 30kg payload
    KR30_2 is second generation of KR30
    KR30_3 is third generation of KR30

KR30_3 HA is third generation of KR30, and it is also the high accuracy model.

does this make more sense now:
    "KSS5.6 does show MADA for KR30_3 (not HA version)"

1) read pinned topic: READ FIRST...

2) if you have an issue with robot, post question in the correct forum section... do NOT contact me directly

3) read 1 and 2

Edited once, last by panic mode ().

• Thanks for the replies, truly and I understand a big portion of the problem though
    I am still confused,however, on why the would cabinet say:
    KR C2 AK 13
    KR 30-3 (HA) (K). Does that mean that the cabinet supports
    a KR 30-3 HA. My robot is the KR 30-3 without the (HA), which explains why
    I need to get the wires changed? Is this the right explanation?

the leg
    The internal loom is the wiring harness right. If that needs to be changed and the RDC needs to be changed, isn't
    that like the majority of the wiring? How would I do that?
    Additionally what cables would I have to buy to replace the rdc/ harness. The specs on the manuals don't specify.

Thanks again.

Advertising from our partners